Partial blockage in central heating pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Conventional system, open vented CH and HW with 2 motorised valves.

My boiler overheats (the safety button pings out) when heating hot water only. I think this may be due to insufficient flow around a 15mm, sludged circuit.

I have a section of 15 mm copper pipe which carries the flow and return for the hot water cylinder. Firstly, I reckon this should be 22mm, but this is what is installed. There is a section of this pipe which is embedded in a solid floor in a U-shape. I can stick a magnet to this section of pipe indicating a local sludge build-up; the rest of the system seems OK.

I have tried mains flushing one radiator at a time, including the HW cylinder circuit, and this removed a lot of sludge, and there is now Fernox Heavy Duty restorer in the system which has been circulating for 1 week. The magnetic pipe seems slightly less magnetic, but there is clearly some sludge still in there.

I am reluctant to replace the pipe since it would involve replacing a laminate floor and much chiselling. Is there any other chemical cleanser I could used, or some mechanical unblocking method? I have relatively easy access to one end of the 'U'.

Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
15mm pipe to hot water circuit was not uncommon, used to be used to help balance system by restricting flow!

From what you describe you need a proper powerflush machine used on the system. You can hire these or get a professional in to do the job!

Thanks Dave.

I think I'll hire a powerflusher then! Would they connect easily across a short, removed section of 15 mm copper (pump and boiler are in quite awkward positions)?

Richard

Sponsored Links
Richard
Make sure you read the instructions thoroughly and have a mate with you to do the running around opening and closing rad valves and also spotting any possible leaks.
Even after years of operating powerflush machines and a day training the process still likes to throw things back at me I have never experienced before.

Ensure the f/e tank is well capped/bunged off and keep checking during the process which should take about about 5 hours.
Pete

You might try a thin drain clearing spring. Wickes do 6mm diameter ones for a few pounds, 1.8m long.
If too many elbows, try a bowden cable from Halfords. Fold a piece double and put the cut ends in a drill chuck. Tape round if necessary. push the folded end into the pipe - it'll go.
Between the two is the spring they used to use - maybe still do, for net curtains etc. Strip the plastic sheath off.

Thanks for all the tips so far.... it's the first time I've used this forum and you've been very helpful.

Today I cut the pipes just before they go under the floor and used a net-curtain wire to loosen the sludge from both ends - there was a lot: 1-2 mm around the whole circumference of the pipe. I then connected two hoses to the open-ended cut pipes and flushed the offending section with mains water - much more sludge - until it ran clear. Repeated this several times. Also flushed the rads in turn while I was at it. Finished off by replacing 2 3-foot lengths of copper where I had cut, which was also sludged, but not as badly as the under-floor section.

Just refilled and bled, no leaks... HW and CH are on, fingers crossed!

If things don't improve then I'll powerflush. Does anyone recommend any particular chemical to use? I was thinking of using Fernox DS-40.

BTW, this CH system used to accumulate a lot of air and need frequent bleeding until I replaced the header tank (the old one had an inch of porridge at the bottom and the vent and feed shared a short section of 22mm pipe) and sorted out the vent and cold feed connections last year. I guess this was the root cause: many years of slowly-corroding rads! I no longer need to bleed the rads, but the sludge is a legacy.

DS 40 is very good, perhaps too good in some cases :eek: If you use it read and follow instructions exactly. Also use a neutraliser afterwards ;)

Thanks Dave.

I know it's strong stuff..... but what do you mean by 'too good'? Is it very good at finding leaky joints/valves or something?

Does it come with neutraliser, or should I buy this separately?

Richard

Yes it will find any weaknesses rather well :rolleyes: Fernox do a system neutraliser sold seperatley

Had HW only on this evening and no overheating boiler! Certainly a big improvement!

Many thanks folks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back