Partial Soil Pipe Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're looking into the possibility of replacing our internal cast iron soil pipe with a plastic one (in the same location). It's not clear to me how easy it will be to gain the access necessary to replace the whole thing which I suspect may make it an expensive job.

If this is the case, is it possible (and practical) to look at a partial replacement of everything above a certain level of cast iron pipe? (with the cast iron portion supported at the wall)

Sponsored Links
We're looking into the possibility of replacing our internal cast iron soil pipe with a plastic one

Why? Just for a laugh, or is the old one leaking? I would be possible to replace just a section, but you'll have fun cutting it out.

You'll need a timesaver coupling or Fernco to join both ends, but it all depends on access.

We've had a few problems with the existing waste system in the house we purchased. Particularly in the bathroom where the old system has insufficient fall and even rises in part, leading to standing water and the pipes blocking up. Along with some additional problems it seems a good point to replace the whole thing in plastic and reroute some of the waste system.

Only problem is access to the portion below ground level, but everything above i'd envisage replacing if it is possible and sensible.

Dan_Robinson said:
We're looking into the possibility of replacing our internal cast iron soil pipe with a plastic one

Why? Just for a laugh,
You'll need a timesaver coupling or Fernco to join both ends, but it all depends on access.
:LOL: it`s more sensible than the answers you`ll get today...apart from the need for fernco flexible pipe connectors ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back