PVC into Cast iron soil pipe - replace the whole pipe or just a section?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a quick question!

I have a cast iron soil pipe (number 2 below) that I want to join a PVC 110mm pipe into (number 1 below).

What I’m not sure of is;

Do I have to get a cast iron branch junction or will PVC do if I support the cast pipe above and below with the proper brackets and use SP140 to join then?

Or does the branch junction I’m putting in have to be cast iron because the soil pipe above it and below it is?

I would like to keep the cast iron pipe above and below my new join (number 2) to save me from replacing the whole pipe from above ground to the guttering as it will be a lot more work and look out of place with the cast iron pipe just to the right of this pipe, that you can’t see from this pic!

upload_2016-2-11_14-19-51.png

Thanks in advance.

Gaz

Sponsored Links
You can use a plastic junction, but do not underestimate the weight of the cast above it. (It'll probably still look odd though, plastic is considerably thinner than cast!) It is vital the cast above is adequately supported, if it falls it will do some damage!

Thanks Hugh Jaleak, good point about the weight of the cast pipe.
Not sure whether to replace all the pipe with cast effect (£40 branch, 2 x 2,5m £60 = £100) or just the branch cast section (£??)

Thanks again.

Rip down the old cast iron replace with PVC to junction ( minimum), not going to cost a fortune and will be more safer in the long run.
To try and cut into the old cast iron pipe with PVC will be more trouble than its worth .

Sponsored Links
Rip down the old cast iron replace with PVC to junction ( minimum), not going to cost a fortune and will be more safer in the long run.
To try and cut into the old cast iron pipe with PVC will be more trouble than its worth .

+1.
Check the back of the cast iron throughout the system... It may be almost rusted through and the decision to replace made for you :sneaky:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back