Partially draining CH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a leaking radiator valve on a downstairs radiator and have a combi boiler. I live in a three storey house with a lot of radiators and don't especially want to drain the entire system just to replace this one valve. Is it OK for me to isolate all the other radiators at both ends and then drain the residual water, replace the valve, then refill and open the radiators back up? I can't see why not, but wondered if there was any chance of this creating an air lock or some other problem? Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
You'd have to re-balance the rads unless you can count the turns as you close the valves.

It's been known to change rad valves without draining down at all :) Plenty of towels, good amount of finger pressure and a rubber bung... just release the pressure from the system beforehand to make the job sensible.

Post it notes. Very important to count the turns, especially part of turns and mark it on the post it note, stick to rad, move to next. With a 3 story building unless you shut the rads off above you are going to lose all the water pretty quickly with its inhibitor. As long as you do that then it should be fine. I assume you have good mains water pressure?

Sponsored Links
If you're not doing any hot work you could use a pipe freezing kit on the pipe to the valve you're working on and turn off the valve on the other side of the subject rad. I've successfully done this job before using a freezing kit, but you will need to be able to access the pipe to wrap the foam jacket around it, preferably on a horizontal pipe run. If you follow the instructions on the kit it will usually give you about 20 minutes before you need to top up the gas to chill it down again.

You can get the kits in most DIY stores, I always keep one around in case of emergency. The kit comes with one can of gas but I'd get a second one as well, you don't want to have a bit of difficulty that delays the job and find that you've used all the gas while the valve is still off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back