Partially failed plasterboard joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an issue with joint between ceiling and wall that is partially failing. It looks like it has been taped with fibreglass mesh, then the ceiling has been fully skimmed whereas the wall seems to be finished with some kind of jointing compound.

The wall side of this joint is failing in a few places - the jointing compound is blown / flaking. I've scraped the loose away, there is some compound left on the boards but the scrim has unstuck. The ceiling plaster is sound.

What's the best course of action here? Just re-embed the tape with easifill and then 2nd coat finish?

Sponsored Links
how old is the house?

when you look at the upper surface of the ceiling, what do you see?

photos please from above of the wall/ceiling joint

80s house, walls and ceiling are both plasterboarded. The ceiling is sound and intact.

IMG_20220214_162427756.jpeg

The white surface at the top is the ceiling, the scrim is exposed at the top of the wall as I've scraped away the flaking filler/joint compound.

Sponsored Links
is there a wooden "beam" wallplate at the top of the wall behind the scrim and patching?

Yes. The walls are plasterboard over wooden studs. I intend to add a couple of extra screws thru the wall boards in case the failure was a result of movement in the wall boards.

its cheap rough tape. Does not serve any purpose in that scenario . i’d trim it off and fill and sand any imperfections with toupret. undercoat it and caulk the join in between the ceiling and wall where it’s most likely to hairline crack before painting.

Thanks will give it a go.

Is there another option to re-tape the entire corner with paper tape? Not sure whether this works over the top of an already plastered/painted ceiling, or whether it is worthwhile.

Cut it out on the ceiling side too? It is set pretty strong, I'd struggle to remove it without damaging the board.

Cheers. I've got plenty of taping to do in the room so may just do this while I'm at it. I've never taped over an existing finished joint before but I'm sure it will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back