Partially finished roof not protected

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all

Need some help if i can please. We've hired a local company to replace our roof due to an initial installment fault. So far they've done what looks a good job, but yesterday they failed to protect the roof with a tarp and we had a massive downpour. Water has soaked half the glassfibre insulation in the roof and is already seeping through the ceiling of the rooms below.

I've looked into the loft and a large amount of the fibreglass insulation is soaking wet.

What would you say my expectations of this company should be? Dry out the loft insulation and repair the stain damage caused, or will the insulation need replacing?

Sponsored Links
No, didn't bother with a tarp. They've come straight out and put one on now, but the proverbial horse is long gone.

They've offered to repair all the damage and replace the wet insulation, so can't fault them for that. Just (understandably) I'm annoyed.

If they quickly replace the wet insulation, is there any chance of further damage being cause in the long run? The amount of water appears to have come in along the gap where the ridge should be, which is part of the incomplete area. But given how quickly the water came through to various parts of the ceiling, I'm concerned about long-term damage and mould.

Sponsored Links
Silly roofers. Get the insulation out asap (it won't hurt the timbers but it will weaken the plasterboard if all the trapped water is allowed to soak in).
Plenty of heat & ventilation in the rooms with damp ceilings & you'll be fine. If lots of water has got into stud walls or wall cavities you may get a damp smell for a few days. And check any electrical items....LED lights aren't as tolerant of water as tungsten.

Cheers mate, I'll start taking out the wet stuff now. Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back