Spray foam roof insulation - anyone used it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We urgently need to insulate our roof, we have dormer windows in the roof and the dormers aren't insulated at all so our heating bills are massive :eek:

Yesterday at the Ideal Home Show we saw companies that do spray foam roof insulation. It looked like a good idea as I understand you don't have to leave a gap like you do with normal insulation.

So my questions are:-

- has anyone had any experience of this good or bad?

- can it be used on vertical walls (i.e. the dormer wall where the windows are) as well as on ceiling / roofs?

Claire

Sponsored Links
As you have by now realised, this idea is not good. Not only does it lift your tile/slate it prevents ventilation in the roof void.

Sponsored Links
The adverts always look good though. With some dude in a space suit and nicely foaming over tiles n timber. Of course what they forget is that the roof space is ventilated so negates any insulation effect of the foam!

what-they-said.gif

Hi I am Dave a roofing contractor from Blackpool
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
I recently did a re-roof that had been sprayed (only 4 years ago) and had to replace most of the rafters because they had rotted away due to not being able to breath (all wood needs to breath) the foam installers say they use a new kind of foam now that allows the wood to breath but im not so sure this is true!!!!!!!

If you would like more information you can find my details on [/url]http://www.blackpoolroofer.com/

having read many comments on this and outher sites i think should add my bit although a bit late many many have siad no but gave no reason we had this fitted about 15 years ago it thansformed a dirty draughty space into a realy nice storage area we just sold our house it didnt cause any real concern would i have it again answer a big YES :D :D :D

Yea but you can't see the wood nicely sweating away away going rotten behind all that lovely foam. Then when the tiles need re-doing, the roofers that are actually prepared to quote, will add a nice juicy premium to the cost of your re-roof.

having read many comments on this and outher sites i think should add my bit although a bit late many many have siad no but gave no reason we had this fitted about 15 years ago it thansformed a dirty draughty space into a realy nice storage area we just sold our house it didnt cause any real concern would i have it again answer a big YES :D :D :D

this post doesnt help much really did you examine the timbers for any decay??
did you have any mould in the rooms underneath in the winter months usually near the corners or along the wall the st roof is supported on

the buyer of the house had 3 roofer to give advice 1 gully needed renewing didnt much like the foam but could not find anything wrong we also had much reduced heating bills :)

the buyer of the house had 3 roofer to give advice 1 gully needed renewing didnt much like the foam but could not find anything wrong we also had much reduced heating bills :)
a proper level off loft insulation would have sorted that problem with greater savings at a fraction off the price

So you've gone to all the trouble to sign up to this site to say 'yes'? Just give us your website link about spraying lofts. We know you want to. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back