Spray foam roof insulation - anyone used it?

Sponsored Links
having read many comments on this and outher sites i think should add my bit although a bit late many many have siad no but gave no reason we had this fitted about 15 years ago it thansformed a dirty draughty space into a realy nice storage area we just sold our house it didnt cause any real concern would i have it again answer a big YES :D :D :D

So you've gone to all the trouble to sign up to this site to say 'yes'? Just give us your website link about spraying lofts. We know you want to. :mrgreen:
He`s not a secret contractor , Joe - just another Surrey resident :mrgreen:

hi again to answer freddymercurystwin i can see all my rafters and 1 of the roofers cut back some foam to see where the tile touched the rafter

hi again to freddtmercurytwine i can see all of the rafters 1 of the roofers cut a bit of the foam away to look where the tile meets the rafter :D

Sponsored Links
having read many comments on this and outher sites i think should add my bit although a bit late many many have siad no but gave no reason we had this fitted about 15 years ago it thansformed a dirty draughty space into a realy nice storage area we just sold our house it didnt cause any real concern would i have it again answer a big YES :D :D :D
The reason you've sold your house is because people do not understand the long term problem, I have done many roof rafters repair because of the foam hiding the leaks from the tiles which you will never know until it's too late, it was so bad and messy therefore very expensive to correct it, would've been cheaper just to re-tiles the roof! What I have found was there were condensation in between the tiles and foam therefore rotted timber in the future. I have to tell them the bad news of ripping it all out :cry: If in the future the new owner want a loft conversion then it's very likely will need a new roof for roof void circulation ventilation. You cannot beat a good ventilated roof and what I do for most people is to fit sheets of peg-board onto the rafters which is still ventilated and it's amazing everything is dust free for storage. Sadly most people are brainwashed talking into it a bit like double glazing but that's another topic for that! I would never ever buy any properties with foam roofing unless the price is a lot lower for me to correct it. They hate me at the Ideal Home and try very hard to shut me up :LOL:

ok lets look at it from a different angle
wood needs to breath
if you dont have a leak you will probably be ok
if you spring a leak the water cant escape it saturates the timber this may effect 2 or more timbers in a row
the problem you have is you dont get wet patches on the ceiling to warn you off a leak and after several years one off the timbers may fail now this wont collapse the roof if the other timbers are good but iff the ones either side are rotten they may also fail cause a a partial or full collapse off the roof
not trying to frighten anyone just warn them :eek:
if they dont want to listen then its on there shoulders :cry:

hi again to freddtmercurytwine i can see all of the rafters 1 of the roofers cut a bit of the foam away to look where the tile meets the rafter :D
Okay, just trying to help you to understand, if you have a fine hairline broken tiles, tell me where does the rainwater go?

hi thank you to masona it is nice to have the reason explained instead of a no

hi thank you to masona it is nice to have the reason explained instead of a no
I think the reason for a strong no, is because we are angry they are allow to get away with their foam business and I'm getting a headache of repairing the rafters etc

These foam spray companies are much like those who inject stuff into your walls to cure damp.
They arrive, spray or inject their stuff, take a huge wedge of your money and give you a 200 year guarantee. All is well.

Then 18 months later when the roof falls in or the damp returns, you discover the company has mysteriously disappeared and the guarantee is worthless.
You then have to spend even more money fixing the problems properly - which will not involve injecting or spraying anything.

Hi, I'm new to the site and I know this question was posted along time ago but I wanted to share my experience with roof foam. I had my Victorian terrace house sprayed 17years ago because it was a quick fix as I couldn't afford a re roof. It lasted well and seemed to do a good job but once you start having little problems they become difficult to repair . I started to get leaks only a couple of years ago but you can't tell where they are coming in. So things become progressively worse. Cut long story short, I had a complete re roof end of last year and now have a very large attic which resembles the surface of the moon due to tons of lumpy foam and dust/ old mortar. It has made a complete mess of all my insulation an will take an age to clear. I've already filled over 20large bin bags and have only managed 1/4 of the area. It's a nightmare. So if you are reading this and thinking of having it done ................DON'T. Cheers all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back