Partitions for bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm currently planning to modify my existing bathroom to include a tiled in bath. This will mean taking down a few internal walls and using some space from the spare bedroom.

I'm trying to eat into the spare room as little as possible while still keeping all the work to a reasonable standard. (I'm new to all this so that standard is likely to be lower than many professional peoples on here.)

I've included a scale diagram showing my current planned 10mm partition. I was looking for advice on the Red Circled areas, as this is where I believe I can possibly pull back a few cms, and stop the new wall getting to near to the window in the bedroom. The plasterboard in the bathroom will be Aquapanel (12.5mm) and fully tiled.

Would you use metal stud on the longer wall to save 2.5cm?

If so is metal stud just as good as wood stud OR do you lose out on something.

The smaller red area I was thinking of maybe doing back to back plasterboard hence making it 2.5cm. This wall would be in the hallway and could use Knauf Soundproof board on the hall facing side. Would this be seen as a Bad Idea? Is it something that professionals do OR is it big No No.

At the end of the day my home is obviously more important than a bit of extra space but would like to save some space if possible. I've had some very valuable advice on here in the past so appreciate any responses.

cheers
Andy

//www.diynot.com/network/scholesy/albums/372/1050

Sponsored Links
paramount walling used to be the thinnest available using two 9.5mm boards sandwiched together with egg boxing between.

this maxed out at about 65mm, before skim.

the thinnest wooden stud partition i'd be inclined to build is 50mm x 50mm studs with 9.5mm plasterboard each side, maxing out at 70mm before skim. i would not tend to use this size studding in any large stretches or in vulnerable locations.

in fact i rarely use 9.5mm boards at all.

metal studs are meant to be excellent though i've never used 'em.

I would not use anything less than 12.5 board due to the extra sound insulation properties over 9.5 board, and also the rigidity it provides. And don't forget the rockwool in between too. I don't think specific 'soundproof' board is necessary in normal home environments

There was another thread on 'thin stud walls' not too long ago.

You could go with some CLS timber and turn this sideways to give 38mm thickness, and then add the two boards and 3mm skim to give a total of 69mm thickness.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies. The bathroom facing plasterboard has to be 12.5mm anyway because i'm using aquapanel. I was also planning on taping and filling, rather than skimming, which i've been told gives good results if done well, (but obviously not as good as a good skim).

May as suggested just use a thinner strip of wood to partition walls.

Is metal stud not used more often because its kinda not traditional? The bits i've read all suggest it gives as good a finish as wood, easier to install and thinner. Any thoughts on this?

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back