Parts advice

• Thread starter thisidentifiesme
  • Start date
T

thisidentifiesme

Hi there

I currently have a Keston Celsius 25 system boiler installed in a 4th floor flat. The problem is it is installed in the centre of the flat and has a vertical flue that is only suited to Keston boilers.

We are looking at a Worcester Bosch 25SI combi to replace it.

It would need about 6m of extension flue and would need to be 80/125mm due to the distance as 100mm would only allow an extension of about 4.6m (from my understanding)

The boiler would fit in the existing cupboard and the flue would go through the ceiling and then left across 6m of living room ceiling and out the wall.

I am looking to get all the parts required for the job myself then arrange for a gas safe person to do the installation as we are pretty tight on funds and this appears to be the cheapest solution.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me understand exactly what parts we would need.

As far as my understand so far goes

Worcester Bosch 25SI
6m 80/125MM flue extension with brackets
Inspection hatches (would this just be three?)

What I am confused about is the flue itself, and what elbow I would need to join the flue from the boiler to the extension. Would the 80/125mm fit the boiler going into the ceiling? Or is it a different size and requires something else to convert?

What flue do I need, can a horizontal flue fit an extension without issue or is a special type?

Would be ever so grateful for any advice or anything I may have missed.

Welcome the knowledge and apologies if its a bit confusing :(

Sponsored Links
Ask your installer for advice, not many are willing to fit a customer supplied boiler.

Hi there

Thanks, I would do but will be looking to post it on mybuilder for quotes. I have posed the question and most seem happy to fit for labour as long as parts are brand new and not used.

Any help would really be appreciated.

My builder?

Sounds as if you are looking for an installation by a non gas registered builder!

We don't encourage illegal installations here!

You need a registered heating engineer!

Sponsored Links
Just remember the sale of goods act regarding warranties visits etc cant really say what you need without seeing job and also you might be inclined to install it yourself

Not at all, several are gas safe registered on there and I would check this prior to any confirmation given the fact we intend to rent it in a few years and would also want the certificate.

I wouldn't try to save money by risking safety, thats not at all a question.

The problem is the quotes we have had so far are around £3000 for the work which we simply can't afford and if we can provide the parts and someone is happy to provide the labour and gas safe registered we would be happy to use that option.

I am looking to get all the parts required for the job myself then arrange for a gas safe person to do the installation as we are pretty tight on funds and this appears to be the cheapest solution.
do so at your risk , all parts supplied by engineer will be his responsibility , but if anything wrong with your supplied goods or wrong parts ordered it will more likely cost you much more in the end ( parts , labour , hassle , schedule ). i for one don't fit customer supplied parts without T & C'S signed even then its very very rare.

I appreciate I am new to this forum, but perhaps I can make two things clear.

1) I am not daft enough to try a self install
2) I am not daft enough to get it installed by anyone other than someone gas safe registered.

How will you know how well it has been fitted?

How will you know how well it has been fitted?

I am a bit lost as to this question. Mybuilder is a trade site and has several gas safe engineers registered on it.
I would only use someone with feedback and established.

I would appreciate advice on the original question.

Could I suggest that, unless you have discovered otherwise, there should be little price difference between an RGI supplying and fitting a boiler, and you supplying and then finding an RGI.

And with the special flue requirements that Keston boilers have, on the odd occasion they are actually working, you could end up purchasing an expensive non returnable white elephant.

Only you know your own circumstances, but please consider all options before following your stated path.

Could I suggest that, unless you have discovered otherwise, there should be little price difference between an RGI supplying and fitting a boiler, and you supplying and then finding an RGI.

And with the special flue requirements that Keston boilers have, on the odd occasion they are actually working, you could end up purchasing an expensive non returnable white elephant.

Only you know your own circumstances, but please consider all options before following your stated path.

Hi Snes thank you for your response. The Keston flues will not be used, we have had advice on what needs to be done and effectively would have a new flue being installed as explained in the original post.

Part of the reason asking for a list was to establish if this was a viable option in terms of calculating a parts list but we haven't had anyone help on that aspect on this forum as yet.

If i can also add my father has friends who own a plumbers merchants so can get a discount too which may help with cost. I wanted advice here as there are many who are skilled and have knowledge and would be able to give suitable advice relating to the question.

Part of the reason asking for a list was to establish if this was a viable option in terms of calculating a parts list but we haven't had anyone help on that aspect on this forum as yet.
If i can also add my father has friends who own a plumbers merchants so can get a discount too which may help with cost
get one of them to help then , your asking people for suitable parts when we are in front of a computer ( why not ask " mybuilders " for this advice ). don't know how much you expect to save by getting your own parts even with advice I've already given but obviously not what you wanted to hear.

As Agas has stated.

You need to check the permissible flue lengths for your boiler and allowable runs.

But really, if you had an RGI on board from the get go, he would know anyway. I can't see how a small merchants discount would compensate for the extra hassle your chosen path will cause you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back