parts charged for but maybe not done

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just had a fix done to my boiler, the engineer said he'd done the pressure valve and the pump, i wasn't watching, but having checked after it looks to me that the pump wasn't replaced.
although the work will be paid for by b'gas i'm not happy that if i'm right b'gas will think i have a new pump and if it goes might fight...
i have pix of pump before and after, not sure what to do as it's a pretty serious accusation of fraud, trying to work out a way of the engineer backing out the claim.
was wondering whether to just ask him for the old pump or just be direct or what
is there any way i can tell for sure, all the numbers of the back are the same and there are also white dust marks that seem the same
old pump, with flat expansion chamber reading, then new pump with charged expansion chamber
here are the 2 pix, before is the one with the low expansion chamber pressure, you can see the dust marks are the same and codes the same
oldpump.jpg
newpump.jpg

Sponsored Links
Doesn't look like a new pump has been fitted.

E-mail both pics to grundfos or vaillant, they will be able to tell by the numbers on it if it is the same , I think it is the same

Looks like the same pump to me.
Has the engineer actually stated a new pump was fitted ?
" Done the pressure valve and the pump " may be misinterpreted. Or the engineer is a crook !!

Sponsored Links
That is your system pressure guage, not the expansion vessel pressure , how much was the final invoice ?
so excuse my ignorance, but aren't the system and expansion connected and so therefore have the same pressure, or is it showing the pressure on the other side in some way? am genuinely interested :)
one thing for sure is before it was very low and now it isn't
btw invoice was changed so sorted out, don't want to say anymore...

so excuse my ignorance, but aren't the system and expansion connected and so therefore have the same pressure, or is it showing the pressure on the other side in some way? am genuinely interested
Your expansion vessel is basically a bladder filled with presurised air, the system pressure is the water pressure inside the radiators and boiler primary side, as the water primary water heats up , it expands and the buffer of the expansion vessel keeps it controllable, to increase the water on the guage in your pic, you simply top the water pressure up with the filling loop, he might have re-charged the vessel at the same time using some kind of compressor or air pump

Your expansion vessel is basically a bladder filled with presurised air, the system pressure is the water pressure inside the radiators and boiler primary side, as the water primary water heats up , it expands and the buffer of the expansion vessel keeps it controllable, to increase the water on the guage in your pic, you simply top the water pressure up with the filling loop, he might have re-charged the vessel at the same time using some kind of compressor or air pump
so should that gauge match the pressure that the digital screen is showing and if so at all times, within some degree of accuracy? as it was very different?

so should that gauge match the pressure that the digital screen is showing and if so at all times, within some degree of accuracy? as it was very different?
yes they should be closeish, but common for them to vary

What did the guy charge?
You text does not suggest the parts were replaced.
What he charged will then help decide what was done

I hope you have refitted the case correctly.

What did the guy charge?
You text does not suggest the parts were replaced.
What he charged will then help decide what was done

I hope you have refitted the case correctly.
yes fitted case back properly very easy, one screw and 2 clips.
my worry is that it isn't fixed properly as now don't know for sure what he actually did, but
probably just the water pressure sensor ( but not certain he even did that )
and he recharged the expansion chamber

the bit i don't like is that the analogue gauge was showing almost zero all the time
and very diff to the digital one, so maybe both dodgy, maybe he cleaned the analogue gauge

all of which makes me worry about how much sh*t is getting up there, there is a magnetic filter and the system was flushed when put in
but how well that was and it is an old system

i think i'll get it flushed again over the summer ( or do myself )
i'm not well at the moment and don't need this stress

anyway thanks for the help/comments to you all

the bit i don't like is that the analogue gauge was showing almost zero all the time
and very diff to the digital one, so maybe both dodgy, maybe he cleaned the analogue gauge
More likely , but not always the digital reading will be the wrong reading the analogue are usually OK unless they block, the digital pressure sensors that vaillant use are rubbish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back