Expansion vessel pressure & silicone grease inside dust cap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Query on expansion vessel pressure readings...

Chap came out due to a boiler fault (Vokera Compact 24), and decided to check the expansion vessel pressure. He couldn't figure out how to drain the boiler pressure locally so went on a hunt for a drain point on a radiator, which there wasn't any. In the past I'm sure engineers have isolated the boiler by closing the flow and return valves and dropped the boiler pressure. He did neither and just connected a pump to the schrader valve to get a reading. He said it was 1 bar... BUT can this be an accurate reading without isolating the boiler and dropping the pressure?

Also, when he finished he filled the schrader valve dust cap with "Silicone Grease". Never seen that done before and am unsure why he did this, I am thinking that would have just clogged up the valve and any dirt etc would just stick to it.

Sponsored Links
The pressure indicated would just be the pressure of the complete system. Doesn't mean anything else - the expansion vessel could be full of air, full of water or some combination of those.

Grease is not required and serves no purpose.

The pressure indicated would just be the pressure of the complete system. Doesn't mean anything else - the expansion vessel could be full of air, full of water or some combination of those.

Grease is not required and serves no purpose.
Thanks, I thought the same about the grease, now how to get it out of the valve, it's not easy to access it and I don't want to press the valve as it will let air out....

20230211_095727.jpg

Also, does anyone know how to drain the Vokera Compact 24? The chap had a go at trying to remove the Pressure Release Valve with some water pump pliers hence the scuff marks on it, not really sure what he was trying to do, especially as he hadn't isolated the flow and return either! What is the transparent plastic tube connected to? Doesn't seem to be labelled in my boiler schematic? But it looks like it could be a drain valve?

20230211_100521.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The chap had a go at trying to remove the Pressure Release Valve with some water pump pliers hence the scuff marks on it, not really sure what he was trying to do, especially as he hadn't isolated the flow and return either!

Looking at the PRV, it needs a particular type of C spanner to undo it, reading your other comments, I would suggest not inviting the clown back.

You can undo the core of the Schrader valve, with a key made for the job, from any car accessory shop. Removing it, should bring most of the grease out with it. After cleaning and refitting, you can restore the pressure with a car or a bike pump, though I doubt the grease will do any harm. .

It is a good idea to put silicon grease onto the schraeder valve before pumping the vessel up, it lubricates the O ring on the schraeder core and stops it letting by , but the EV pressure can only be cheched and charged with the boiler de-pressurised and a drain point left open while pressurising, in your pic the plastic hose IS the boiler drain point

It is a good idea to put silicon grease onto the schraeder valve before pumping the vessel up, it lubricates the O ring on the schraeder core and stops it letting by , but the EV pressure can only be cheched and charged with the boiler de-pressurised and a drain point left open while pressurising, in your pic the plastic hose IS the boiler drain point
Thanks @ianmcd

I assume these are the flow and return valves I need to close using a screwdriver prior to draining the boiler pressure before checking the EV pressure.

20230211_101218.jpg

Thanks @ianmcd

I assume these are the flow and return valves I need to close using a screwdriver prior to draining the boiler pressure before checking the EV pressure.

View attachment 295684
I wouldnt close them, they will probably leak when you open them again, open the drain valve and when the water stops running leave the drain point open and then start pressurising the vessel, more water will probably start coming out, once this stops then you are pressurising the vessel, take it up to 0.8 Bar slightly higher if you want as some pressure will escape when you remove the pump from the schraeder but dont add too much pressure

I had never heard of this silicon grease idea but I see some schrader type bicycle tyre/tubes (after removing the dust cap!) have a nut attached to the valve stem that must be loosened before the tyre can be pumped up, you then retighten it afterwards. My old ex postman's Rudge with its parcel carrier on the front certainly didn't have this, you could get valve rubber tubing.

My old ex postman's Rudge with its parcel carrier on the front certainly didn't have this, you could get valve rubber tubing.

That was a slightly different type of valve, to the Schrader. As a valve - It used a simple, thin metal tube, stopped off at the end, with a couple of tiny holes at the side. The rubber tube was a tight fit, over the tube, so it acted as a one way valve.

It still seems to be for sale IF this is it, seems enough here to service hundreds of valves.

1676284346137.png

I wouldnt close them, they will probably leak when you open them again, open the drain valve and when the water stops running leave the drain point open and then start pressurising the vessel, more water will probably start coming out, once this stops then you are pressurising the vessel, take it up to 0.8 Bar slightly higher if you want as some pressure will escape when you remove the pump from the schraeder but dont add too much pressure
@ianmcd thanks for the tips. Looks like I have a faulty heat exchanger, as the pressure still rises even after checking the expansion vessel correctly. If the tap supplying the mains feed to the hot water side is closed off, the pressure stabilises and the pressure relief valve closes. However, the insurance company won't repair it as the engineer said the flu needs replacing which is not covered and needs resolving first. It has corroded on the end on the external inner pipe which I think must be due to weather exposure. Struggling to get anyone to quote on replacing. I'm not convinced it is particularly unsafe as it's outside anyway. Guard removed to take photo.

20230213_143915.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back