re-charging expansion vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I posted earlier about issues i'm having with my combi boiler. I had replaced the pressure relief valve but was then having the pressure increase. I was advised to re-charge the expansion vessel which i did (hoping i had done it correctly) and thought it had fixed it. However, the pressure is still increasing but alot slower than before.

I'm wondering if i maybe did something incorrectly.

firstly i cut all the pipes off and then drained the boiler using the drain cock. Next i attached a pump with gauge to the expansion vessel and pumped. When no more water came out i closed the drain cock and then pumped until the reading sat at 1 barg. Then i unattched the pump, opened up all the pipes and re-pressured the boiler before finally turning it on. This seemed to work as the pressure stayed within range recommended (1-1.5 bar) however over a period of a couple of hours it has inched up to 2.5 bar while the central heating was on.

Did i do something wrong? should i have left all the pipes open? is the improvment in the speed of the pressure increasing suggest that i maybe didnt pump enough into the expansion vessel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if the Schroeder valve is the 'car tyre' like valve that sits on top of the expansion vessel, then yeah. Very difficult to get to cause of its location. I bought a wee foot pump with a pressure gauge and each time i 'pumped' into it the gauge would rise before falling down, but the 'baseline' (so to speak) did rise each time.

Sponsored Links
the reason i closed it was because it seemed like it was taking forever. the boiler is a vokera 20 - 80 rs flowmatic, if this makes a difference.

I'll try it again tomorrow after work. But this time leave the drain cock open? what about the other pipes (ie return pipe, etc) should i be closing them?

Thanks Again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back