Party wall agreement/essential?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

Considering taking out the chimney breast on the ground floor only, it's on the party wall and my question is do i HAVE to get a party wall agreement?
Also will I need planning or am I right in thinking just building regs? Will building regs want drawings or just a description of the works. Or can we submitt a building notice instead and just push on with the work/how does a building notice work and what's the upside of it?
If I just inform the neighbour of what I am doing and get them to sign something to say I'm ok to proceed is this ok?
I have looked into the subject a little but still confused :confused:
Help and advice appreciated as always

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for the advice.......oh wait a minute no ones given any :D
Come on lads it's lonely here :mrgreen:

You don't need planning permission, only building regs, and that is just for the structural support when the breast is removed. A building notice is enough , no plans required

The Party Wall Act will apply, but there is no penalty for not following it

You don't need the neighbours permission, so getting them to sign something is meaningless and does not give any rights or protection to either of you

Whatever you do or don't do, or get signed, you are still liable under common law for any damage you cause to the neighbours property

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody:cool: clear answer and the exact info I needed. Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back