Party Wall Agreement not forthcoming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would appreciate advice on the following matter...

Following professional guidance, I drafted then handed a Party Wall Agreement letter to my neighbour early last summer and it's never been returned. Chased it up three times since but to no avail. It seems that they don't disagree with any building work I plan but rather they've just never got round to signing the agreement and returning it. I get on well with the neighbours and don't wish to sour our relationship but all other permissions etc are in place and ready to go, it's just this Party Wall matter has dragged on for too long.

My building work was delayed so didn't start last year as planned however I'm counting on a Spring start this year. What should be my next step?

Sponsored Links
If you don't want to move forward on the basis that there is a dispute (as non reply is a dispute by default), then do another notice and make sure they return it with the time scales.

If the new notice describes slightly different work then that would help you if things got queried.

What's the nature of the works? Is there actually shared structure or just proximity of foundations?

What's the nature of the works? Is there actually shared structure or just proximity of foundations?

Proximity of foundations. About a foot further away and I wouldn't have needed any Party Wall agreements. Unfortunately, there is no flexibility on my side.

Sponsored Links
Proximity of foundations. About a foot further away and I wouldn't have needed any Party Wall agreements. Unfortunately, there is no flexibility on my side.

Hang on, so you are 2.7m from the adjoining building? Just crack on with it, the neighbour clearly isn't that bothered. I really do not agree with the 3 metre rule as it stands, at that distance what damage could you possibly cause to the neighbouring building? (unless you have got crazy deep foundations). I take a more pragmatic approach and if it is outside the 45 degree line as in the 6 metre rule I really wouldn't worry about it.

Hang on, so you are 2.7m from the adjoining building? Just crack on with it, the neighbour clearly isn't that bothered. I really do not agree with the 3 metre rule as it stands, at that distance what damage could you possibly cause to the neighbouring building? (unless you have got crazy deep foundations). I take a more pragmatic approach and if it is outside the 45 degree line as in the 6 metre rule I really wouldn't worry about it.

I'm with wessex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back