party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help me with some information i'm after? basically i'm planning an extension and my adjoining neighbour already has one, will i build of his wall after gaining a party wall agreement? or build a new wall as close to his as possible thus creating a void that will be inacessable? I;ve yet to speak to my planning office and am just looking for some guidance on the matter any help appreciated? thanks

Sponsored Links
Where is your neighbour's wall in relation to the boundary?

Using the PW Act will not let you build off a wall unless the wall is actually a party wall - ie astride the boundary and owned/shared/used by both properties to divide them - like the one down the middle of a semi.

By the sound of it, your neighbours wall is most likely to be his wall, built on his side of the boundary. In this case you will never get any right to build off it via the PWA

However, the PW Act may still apply for the work you want to do

Sponsored Links
I thought that, i did look yesterday and his wall is his side of the boundary so I guess I'll build my wall right up to my boundary. What I am woried about thou is by me building my wall it will create a void of say 6-8 inches wide (maybe a bit wider) that will be inacessiable to anyone and what would happen with a potential future maintainace issues that may arise?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back