Party wall garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Me neighbour and I have 2 garages next to each other. It’s detached.

Most of the land around the garage belongs to my neighbour. (Apart from a parking space infront of my garage).

I notice he has put in planning permission to build another garage next to mine.
(As well as other works - a smallish extension to his house )

Assuming it gets granted, does this give him automatic permission to start messing with my wall to T in new brick work for his new garage?

Does my wall automatically become a party wall?

I don’t necessarily object to the extra garage, even though it’s a surprise, but want to put something on the planning application to cover myself legally as it doesn’t really state they are going to mess with my wall.

I want to ensure things are ok when/if I come to sell my house and garage.

Or would I be better to not put any comments on the planning application? Thus showing I’m not aware.

He’s recently painted my eves (that will be removed when building starts). Is he trying to show he is maintaining it?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Your neighbour has no rights to touch your property, let alone attach anything to it

I don’t necessarily object to the extra garage, even though it’s a surprise, but want to put something on the planning application to cover myself legally as it doesn’t really state they are going to mess with my wall.
You won't cover yourself. Planning law is different to property law, and the rights granted via any permission, say permission for a building on land which the applicant does not own, does not grant rights to actually build on the land.

The right to attach to your building would require your express consent, or if the Party Wall Act applies it can be done that way if the process is followed - and you can't refuse.

Sponsored Links
The PWA allows a party wall to be created or wall converted to a party wall.

You can comment on the planning application, in terms of support or object for how the proposal affects you, your use and your enjoyment of your property. You could potentially influence design changes.

Check if any proposed works crosses your boundary. If the neighbour wants to overhang the boundary, there is a specific planning notification process.
Then if agreed, monitor the works for conforming to the approval and any conditions.

Then, if the PWA applies, ensure the process is followed, and if an Award is issued, pass that to any future buyer as a record of what was agreed.

The PWA allows a party wall to be created or wall converted to a party wall.
I think that needs a bit of clarification. A new party wall can only be created with the express consent of both neighbours it cannot be imposed or "allowed" under the party wall act. The PWA only provides the procedure by which the consenting parties can proceed.

If the OP refuses there is absolutely nothing the neighbour can do to force a new party wall or convert the existing boundary wall to be a party wall.

I think the OP needs to engage with the neighbour and specifically on the basis of the requirement of the Party Wall agreement - as the neighbour is duty bound to pay for both surveyors (and make sure you don't agree to use the same on) get some proper advice on this rather than relying on sometimes dubious advice off the internet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back