Party Wall repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all.
My neighbour has an extension to the front in which they run a business. All legal and many years old.
My house used to have the same extension, but was taken down long ago, years before I bought it.
The remaining wall is a party wall.
Their flat roof slopes towards my front garden, and has guttering fastened to the wall on my side, which runs into my guttering.
Their roofing-felt has been poorly installed many years ago. My side has been rendered, and goes over the felt, which I assume they had done when the alterations were made.
The bad winter caused a large chunk of render to fall from the top where the felt runs behind it, which fell in my garden.
There's now much more render coming away and I obviously worry about the effect it will have on my family's heads when it does fall.

Am I jointly responsible for the entire party wall being re-rendered, given that they caused the problem before I moved in by having shoddy roofing work done, followed by shoddy rendering?

Also, the masonry paint is coming off in sheets on the wall and looks a mess. I don't mind painting it when it's been rendered, but do we have to agree a colour, given it faces us and they can't see it? The front of their extension is a beige colour, but I'd prefer white on our side.

Thanks for any advice.

Paul

Sponsored Links
If your render goes over the felt then the roofer wasn't the only one who did a shoddy job. Water draining off the felt is seeping behind your render and frost has then heaved the render off the wall. Sounds like it's your problem (cost).

I probably explained it wrong.
When I said 'my render', I meant the render on my side of the wall.
I was trying to say that the render and felt was seemingly part of the same job done by the other side. The wall is just single breeze block. The felt must have obviously been done first, and then they had the wall rendered. The wall was an inside wall of a bank and would have been plastered, and left like that I assume when my extension came down about 40 years ago. I've been here 4 years. The other side would have had the plaster knocked off, then re-felted, then rendered I imagine.
Sorry for the confusion.
I was trying to be as concise as possible.

Thanks.

Paul

Its all confusing, but it does not seem like its a Party Wall under the Party Wall Act, so it would come down to who actually owns it and where the property boundary is, which will determine maintenance responsibilities and liabilities.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.

It's definitely a party wall, it states it in my deeds.

To try and clarify - If your adjoined neighbour builds an extension at the back, you would be looking at their wall to the side.
That's what I have at the front.
As I said, it's been there donkeys years and is all legal.

Thanks.

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back