party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I eliminate cigarette smells getting through my party wall?
I have also been living with very strong spicy cooking smells coming through the wall for 7 years. Now that I have new neighbours, the cigarette smoke seems to be the main nuisance.
I live in an ex council 1950s semi detached house. The smell seems to come in at the first floor level, mainly between the ceiling and floor boards. A particularly bad spot is in the corner of the house in my bathroom and also at the top of my stairs.

The joists run parallel to the wall. Some of the joists run right up against the wall itself.
I have had expanding foam injected into the cavity between the joists and wall by drilling in through the floorboards to get as close to the wall as possible, then by injecting the foam. I have also had acrylic filler placed between the gaps in the floor boards up to the next set of joists.

No success.

I am wondering if the extension that was built next door, to the back of the property may also be affecting the wall. Possibly when the RSJ beam was inserted.
I also ought to add that I make a fair amount of noise playing the piano, so this must have an impact on the neighbours too.

Any structural advice would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
What good will that do IJW ?

If these are private houses and the "nuisance" is legal, then it's up to the sufferer to prevent the smells getting in .

Sponsored Links
Thanks for suggestions, both of which I have tried, but to no avail.
As far as environmental health are concerned it isn't unlawful to smoke in one's own home.
As for blocking out the smoke and smell myself, I am still working on it.

I think it is about time I moved !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back