Passing Exams

S

Shutpa

Nowadays, more and more schoolchidren are sitting exams with the help of readers and scribes. To the best of my knowledge when they pass the examination in, for example, English or maths, the fact that they have had someone read out the questions and/or write out the answers does not appear on the certificate. What does the average person think about that, bearing in mind that there are those who may fail the exam and have not had the advantage of having a reader and/or scribe?

Sponsored Links
Whilst readers and scribes provide no other assistance i.e. they don't help understand the text and they write exactly what they are told as they are told, I can't help thinking that, if the child isn't able to read/write as an adult ... What use is the qualification in later life.

MW

What use is the qualification in later life.

MW

Until today I tended to agree with you megawatt. However I found out today that a friend looking for a young assistant chose a kid who had passes in maths and English over another who no such passes. I know for a fact that the 'qualified' lad, had both reader and scribe in the exams, whilst the other had neither. Hence my posting.

There should be no "advantage" in having a reader/scriber in an exam. therefore to pass is an indication of the students ability only.

Sponsored Links
There should be no "advantage" in having a reader/scriber in an exam. therefore to pass is an indication of the students ability only.

Are you saying that is OK for someone to have a qualification in English even if they are illiterate?

What I was trying to say in the last post (badly) is that English and Maths abilities are so core to most other qualifications that I don't see what use the qualification alone will be without them ... After all, the individual probably won't have a reader/scribe when they start work ;)

In short ... I don't believe they should be allowed :LOL:

I never gave the matter much thought before today megwatt, but I certainly agree with you now!

Are you saying that is OK for someone to have a qualification in English even if they are illiterate?
No I was just saying there is no advantage as you were saying in your original posting. whether its ok for someone passing that way all i can say is that the disabled should be given the chance to fit in with society and not be isolated because of their disabilities.

[No I was just saying there is no advantage as you were saying in your original posting.

There is an advantage if you , because of your qualifications, get a job ahead of someone who doesn't qualify for Learning Support!

[No I was just saying there is no advantage as you were saying in your original posting.

There is an advantage if you , because of your qualifications, get a job ahead of someone who doesn't qualify for Learning Support!
I dont understand the logic there? If someone isnt entitled to learning support then they must be able to pass on their own accord and if they dont then they failed, having support doesnt give an advantage one way or another. Unless you are suggesting an abuse of the system?

I dont understand the logic there? If someone isnt entitled to learning support then they must be able to pass on their own accord and if they dont then they failed, having support doesnt give an advantage one way or another. Unless you are suggesting an abuse of the system?

As you know, all schools are made up of bright kids, not so bright kids and those with learning difficulties who get extra support in the classroom and readers and/or scribes in the exams. Many of the not so bright will fail but some of those with LD's will pass - something they would not be able to achieve without the help of readers and scribes. As I said above, it was only today that I found out that it can be most adventageous to have a qualification however obtained.
The line between learning difficulties and poor ability must, at times, be very vague!

As you know, all schools are made up of bright kids, not so bright kids and those with learning difficulties who get extra support in the classroom and readers and/or scribes in the exams. Many of the not so bright will fail but some of those with LD's will pass - something they would not be able to achieve without the help of readers and scribes. As I said above, it was only today that I found out that it can be most adventageous to have a qualification however obtained.
I understand what you are saying now but the system for support should not be given to those "not so bright" that would be abusing the system when it is there for those with disabilities such as physical or mental dyslexia could fall into this category.
and its these individuals that society shouldnt be failing.

those classed as "not so bright" that fail to get support may not need it? Perhaps they are just lazy?

One thing I will say is some students with scribes have BAD HANDWRITING. I witnessed this myself. His only disability was he was slightly overweight (glandular apparently). But he had a laptop on which to write essays in lessons, and a scribe sometimes and in exams. He could write, but it was very untidy. I myself have untidy writing, but I have seen worse than this kids.

He also got motability. :confused:

One thing I will say is some students with scribes have BAD HANDWRITING. I witnessed this myself. His only disability was he was slightly overweight (glandular apparently). But he had a laptop on which to write essays in lessons, and a scribe sometimes and in exams. He could write, but it was very untidy. I myself have untidy writing, but I have seen worse than this kids.

He also got motability. :confused:

I'll take your word for it Steve, but I have never in 40 years come across a single student who gets the use of a scribe because he, the student, has bad handwriting. When marking exam papers I often have great difficulty in making out what has been written and have to consult my wife. She will also consult me when she gets bogged down with illegibility in exam papers.

Of course it is a different story when the student CANNOT write.

I passes GCE O level in Religious Studies ............because I had Scribes and Pharisees to help me :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back