Incompetence In The Classroom

S

Shutpa

I have just been informed that a teacher in Scotland has been sacked for incompetence! And not before time. I have never claimed to be a great teacher. I did my job and if results are anything to go by, I was successful. Pupils wanted to come to my classes for no other reason that I passed on the info that would get them through the exam. And it did. Nowadays, as a supply teacher, I see so - called teachers sit with their backs to the class while they play around with their computers. My daughter hates her English lessons because the teacher starts them off on, for example, a worksheet, and then turns her back on the class while she works at her computer. I know that this happens, not only in English, but in many subjects across the curriculum.

As a teacher and a parent, I have decided to take a stand. Enough is enough! My children go to school to be taught - not to be ignored while the teacher does whatever he or she does with the laptop. If you have children at school, ask them what happens in their classrooms, and if it is not, in your opinion, to their educational advantage, then do something about it. Tell the powers that be that you are not happy with the situation and want to see improvements.

Sponsored Links
i also agree that teachers need to be accountable as are the rest of us, it is wrong if they are in such an important job if they can't or won't do the job as the results are our kids don't get the best start in life, i have 7 year old twins who are in P3, their teacher is new and probationary and we have been told that probatonary teachers can be sacked if they don't make the grade, which may be tough but so is life, (although in our case the teacher is good but inexperienced but has the full support of the senior members to make sure she and the kids get all the help possible, which is the way it should be) there are too many people in jobs for so long that they are almost untouchable as they have been doing the job so long without any disciplinary action against them that if their boss said that they are not suitable their lawyer would say why employ them for 20+ years then?

Over the past 40 years I have come across several teachers who just hadn't a clue. I know of 3 whose discipline was so bad that some of the pupils thought nothing of standing on the desks, or jumping from desk to desk. That is, until any other teacher came into the room and in a flash they were back in their seats. One of these teachers, arguably the most inefficient of all, was promoted and will some day be a head teacher.

It has taken the professional body a long time to make a start to the garden, lets hope the weeding continues.

Sponsored Links
My friend is a primary school teacher and although I've never sat in on one of her classes, I was helping her mark homework one weekend. This was a class of 7 and 8 year olds. Most couldn't write their names correctly, the spelling and writing was atrocious and as for arithmetic - I ended up being confused over their answers.

Was I to put a cross next to the wrong answers and a tick next to the correct ones? Nope, that's not allowed. A cross is demeaning to the child and showing him a negativity. Put a dot next to any wrong answers and then it will be discussed with the child where he went wrong. They've not to get crosses and ticks because not only does it show negativity when there's a cross, but ticks encourage competition.

Huh??

Back