Parents no longer referred to as mum & dad in school.

This is as much Connys point. Really why would you not call them mum & dad if they are your mum and dad.?
It's just like using Dear Sir or Madam, or to whom it may concern. They're just catch all terms without being problematic.

Sponsored Links
If I say my Dad is tye legal guardian for that day then he is the legal Guardian for thst day. He's not a Giver.
Legal Guardians can be appointed by parents, Special Guardians or by the Court. They can only be appointed by someone who has parental responsibility for the children. A Legal Guardian cannot be appointed by a parent who is alive, as it is not possible to transfer parental responsibility to another person.

It’s the second week of the new school @conny, how do you expect teachers to know all the kids names yet, let alone their circumstances at home?

Where my other half teaches, most of the class don’t have a mum and dad in their lives. Some have neither.

Primary carer term would be used if the teacher didn’t know the situation, but using mum or dad or other isn’t banned if they know who’s who.

Seems a really odd thing to get offended about mate.
This new teacher stated they are not using the term(s) mum and dad anymore because it may upset someone who is fostered.
The point I am getting at is, if the school has changed its policy, then parents/guardians/care givers, (call them what you like), were not consulted or notified about this change beforehand, so they had no opportunity to raise objections f they disagreed with the change.

My daughter contacted the head of governors on the Friday to discover she knew nothing about it and the school had, "certainly not stopped using the term(s) mum and dad." She was going to look into it and get back to my daughter.

Sponsored Links
The birth of wokism then and kids glued to their phones like zombies.
Seems to be working a treat.

My mum died when I was 11 , people always said to me things like "where is your mum" etc I just told them she's dead, didn't do me any harm, too many snowflakes at it again!
Too many people using pathetic terms such as “snowflake”.
What users of this term mean is that they don’t give a damn about anybody else , and certainly suffer from an Empathy deficiency.

But it is fair to say that teachers, for example, should use the relevant term for any individual rather than a “catch all” moniker

My wife took our granddaughter to school today as her young baby brother is in hospital.
My wife explained who she was and why she was bringing L to school and she, or I, may be picking her up tonight.
The teacher asked who was L's Primary Care Giver? So my wife said, "Oh, what is her mums name? It's A** D*****."
The teacher replied, "We don't call them mum and dad anymore, as some children are fostered and it could make them feel unwanted."
WTF?????

When we told our daughter she was livid! She said this particular teacher was new this term so, as a parent governor, she will be raising this with the Head Governor tomorrow morning.

Where do these people get the idea, they can just start at a new school and introduce their rules/views on how things should be done?
On second reading I find the teachers attitude offensive; What about making the kids who are living with, cared for by both of their actual parents? If my (if I had any) kids were told they couldn't speak about Mum/Dad but their 'care giver' - what would that say to the kids? Do you know who your Mum/Dad 'Really' is? I'm sure that is equally upsetting to those kids.

Before I married my (divorced) G/F I had to care for her kids on a couple of occasions - including taking the middle one to hospital from school one day (G/F was away at her parents). Wasn't 'legal' guardian but the schools really pleased that I was there and the kid was really happy I came to transport her.

Last edited:
Happened in the 1980's. Where have you been living?
It may have happened where you are, but it certainly didn't happen in my childrens/grandchildrens' schools back in Liverpool during the 80's, or at any time since.

It may have happened where you are, but it certainly didn't happen in my childrens/grandchildrens' schools back in Liverpool during the 80's, or at any time since.
Words like "fella", "sconner", "our kid" don't really cut it. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back