PASTE OR COMPOUND?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'm still very anxious to hear if there is something bad that will happen if you put PTFE on an olive. There must surely be some reason other than blind prejudice for arguing against it.

And your blind prejudice for arguing for it, even after I have proved that the best known manufacturers of compression fittings in the UK say it should NOT be used, take your argument up with the manufacturers, I am stating facts from the manufacturers, if you are saying they are wrong take it up with them

I argue in favour of it because I have tried the method, it is simple, cheap, and it works by preventing leaks on compression fittings. That is not blind prejudice. It evidence-based fact.

If there was a reason like "it makes the pipe split" "it causes a fire" "it makes the brass dezincify" "it blocks venting in the case of overheat" I would listen to it attentively, and examine the evidence.

Have you tried the method and found something wrong with it?

I argue in favour of it because I have tried the method, it is simple, cheap, and it works by preventing leaks on compression fittings. That is not blind prejudice. It evidence-based fact.

If there was a reason like "it makes the pipe split" "it causes a fire" "it makes the brass dezincify" "it blocks venting in the case of overheat" I would listen to it attentively, and examine the evidence.

Have you tried the method and found something wrong with it?

I don't need to try it, I follow the manufacturers recommendations and it works perfectly well and it is cheaper than your method as I do not have the additional cost of the PTFE.
If you bothered to read the email replies I had from the manufacturers in the topic PTFE on compression fittings, you would see the line "The use of these on a compression fitting not only could create a false seal on the pipe work causing a leak, but would invalidate the warranty we offer with the product as it is not installed to our guidelines". so may reason is the guideline of the manufacturers.

I'm still very anxious to hear if there is something bad that will happen if you put PTFE on an olive. There must surely be some reason other than blind prejudice for arguing against it.

On new copper/fitting the PTFE makes it more difficult to feel the desired tightness on the spanner (eg. I can't always tell if it's under or over done, hence use pastes). However if having to re-make an old compression on a zone valve, cylinder connection, rad valve etc. or where old olive/pipe mis-shapen, The tape does help.

works perfectly well
you mean you never ever ever get a leak from a compression fitting?
That's perfect.

The rest of us do.

I have looked at the joints I made two and a half years ago, with PTFE, and none of them has any sign of weeping, limescale, or green runs. I didn't become a better plumber two and a half years ago, I just started using PTFE. The cost and time of re-making a leak would be vastly greater than the cost and time of using PTFE.

On new copper/fitting the PTFE makes it more difficult to feel the desired tightness on the spanner
OK, thanks for that, though as an amateur I haven't got such experience of touch and feel :oops: I rely on strength of wrist and an appropriately-sized spanner. Maybe I do mine a bit too tight?

I ALWAYS use jet blue or sometimes ptfe on comp fittings,never had a problem :D

I have looked at the joints I made two and a half years ago, with PTFE, and none of them has any sign of weeping, limescale, or green runs.

If you're covering just the olive, it's unlikely you'll have any trouble. 100% of the compression/PTFE leaks I repair are where the DIYer (or incompetent plumber) has taped the thread and not the olive.

Leaks on compression are caused by over tighteneing or not tight enough, there is an art to knowing how tight they need to be.

I have looked at the joints I made two and a half years ago, with PTFE, and none of them has any sign of weeping, limescale, or green runs.

If you're covering just the olive, it's unlikely you'll have any trouble. 100% of the compression/PTFE leaks I repair are where the DIYer (or incompetent plumber) has taped the thread and not the olive.

the manufacturers state not to use PTFE as they say it will cause leaks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back