Paste the paper/wall. What's the difference??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to re-paper one wall (yes, just the one luckily!). We've been to look at paper an I see some say paste the paper, others paste the wall. What's the difference between the two papers and can you paste the wall if the paper says paste the paper or the other way around, paste paper if it says paste the wall?
BTW, yes I do HATE decorating but as I don't go back to work until next week I've got no excuse to get out of it!

Sponsored Links
With paste the paper the paper has time to absorb the paste and get slightly stretchy making it easier to squidge up any slightly wonky joints.

I tried paste the wall, it was easier putting the paper up but then I had to pull it off and do it all again because of bubbles so the job took twice as long and cost twice as much as it would have done doing it the traditional way.

Pasting the paper and leaving it to soak for a couple of minutes enables the paper to become more pliable and easier to hang .

Thanks for the replies. It looks like it'll be a few days before the paper goes up. I just took what was on the wall off ('crucifix' made up of 1' square mirror tiles and around that very thick wallpaper with about a dozen layers of paint) and found the wall underneath is a really dark red. I really don't know what the previous owners were thinking. The crucifix was bad enough but the previous dark red paint underneath? The paper going up is light so I'm going to fill the holes where the sticky pads on the mirror tiles pulled the plaster off, then paint the wall white. Once that's all nice and dry I'll put the new paper up or, depending how long it takes, get back to work next week and leave it for a year or two ;)

Sponsored Links
'Paste the wall' papers are non-woven. This means that they don't expand when wet, so you don't need to allow them to soak before hanging. This allows you to paste the wall and then hang the paper directly from the roll without worry. That said, because they don't expand, you can also paste the paper instead, if you prefer to do it that way.

'Paste the paper' wallpapers are not non-woven, meaning they do expand when wet. For this reason, it is essential that you paste the paper and allow it to soak for the manufacturer's recommended amount of time to achieve the correct pliability. Without doing this, you will end up with the paper bubbling/creasing when hanging, or with seams that rise/pull apart as the paper dries. Do not try to just paste the wall for papers that are not a 'paste the wall' type.

BTW, the red walls are a sign that the plague was in the house at some point. The crucifix was applied later to try and rid the house of any lingering contamination. Now that you have removed the cross, do not touch the walls at all, run to the nearest hospital and ask to be put on an isolation ward. Ah, the joys of Mid Glamorgan!! ;) :p :LOL:

Last edited:
BTW, the red walls are a sign that the plague was in the house at some point. The crucifix was applied later to try and rid the house of any lingering contamination. Now that you have removed the cross, do not touch the walls at all, run to the nearest hospital and ask to be put on an isolation ward. Ah, the joys of Mid Glamorgan!! ;) :p :LOL:
Oh bugger! Looks like this may be my last post then ;) BTW, did they have the plague in Pontypridd in the 70s when the house was built?

I think you are confusing the plague with sheep molesting. Both have the same outcome if the wife finds out :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back