Pasterboard or render???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello wb, I'm going to start decorating a bedroom. The plaster is in a bad state and will probably all have to come off. Its all blown and very crumbly, probably the original plaster in the house thats almost 100yrs old. Is it better to use plasterboard or to render the wall before applying a final smooth skin. Or does not matter either way?? Any answers much appreciated. :confused:

Sponsored Links
unless your skills include 3-5 years hands-on in the plastering trade dealing with float & set plastering, then i would say dot 'n' dab plasterboards and skim is the least difficult.

hey noseall. Cheers for your reply. Just wondering are there any major pros and cons between render or plasterboard. I'll get a plasterer in to do the plastreing as thats a skill i aint got! Also, can the walls just be skimmed without taking the plaster off. The plaster is patchy from previous owners 90 years worth of repairs and sounds hollow in places. and is loose in various spots as well. Will the old plaster hold the new skimming plaster??

Sponsored Links
overskimming is only as successful as the plaster below is sound.

remove any hollow sounding plaster and patch up. copious amounts of diluted pva is a must.

just remember, a coat of skim is a cosmetic improvement only. don't be surprised if fine hairline cracks do re-appear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back