pat commercial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello
is pat testing a legal requirement for commerical premises? ie school, small office, etc?

thanks

Sponsored Links
No, it is not in itself a legal requirement.
There is a legal requirement to maintain equipment in a condition as to not cause danger under the Electricity at Work Regulations (Regulation 4-(2)).
PAT testing is one form of showing you are working towards this.

The "in service inspection & testing" of electrical equipment is not a legal requirment. Ensuring the Health & Saftey of persons who use the equipment or may be harmed by coming into contact with it, is

Sponsored Links
Far far too many places think bringing in a PAT testing company who will run the minimum of tests they can get away with (since they are trying to be as cheap as possible) is sufficiant to ensure electrical safety. Sending someone non electrically minded on a PAT testing course isn't going to help either.

Really you need someone who both understands electricity AND understands your equipment and usage patterns.

I wonder if the "chubby" quoted in the credits is the same one who hangs arround over on att being a pain but who we don't have the heat to ban (plus we are pretty sure if we banned him he would just evade).

ATT? ATT?

Oh, I remember... that used to be a busy forum - five years ago.

Now I believe it's just The Trician's personal political propaganda platform

Haven't seen anything of Chubby on there for yonks.

I do worry when outside firms do portable appliance testing, what happens to all the in-service electrical equipment which is not portable? The PIR only covers the installation not the equipment.
Some do stretch that word portable to include the fridge, washing machine and everything that plugs in but where as with washing machines timers are involved it would require the machine to do whole cycle connected to testing machine so they are not really tested it would require some dismantling to really test. That way any fluff build up would also be removed.
The hand drier is often missed. Bolted to wall and feed by a FCU it is not portable but it is in-service electrical equipment.
I noted one contract said "All electrical equipment" but that is rare. The coke machine is often hired and it is really down to hire company to test not the firm using it. There are also some really big portable machines like the batching plant I worked on that will take a few electricians days to test.

So some one has to have the job of making sure each item is tested and he/she has all the records, and this job can't be really given to an outside firm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back