PAT Test

J

Johnmelad502

Did a PAT test today in a small local office and found two of these.

Figuring they were not to British Standard, (probably made in China/Korea) I replaced them. Anyone else seen these, and are they sold legally?

Sponsored Links
If they are to a British Standard then they should have the relevent BS printed on them.
What size are they physically?

If they are to a British Standard then they should have the relevent BS printed on them.
What size are they physically?

Identical in size to BS fuse but should be brown with the BSI logo. These are red and have no logo. Me thinks they got their brown and red mixed up as red would be 3 amp.

Yep, probably cheap, foreign rubbish. I'd also look twice at the leads they came out of as there was a spate of dodgy IEC leads with conductors smaller than they ought to be. Also look twice at the appliance to see if it complies to standards.

Sponsored Links
I've also seen iecs with smaller than normal bodys (you can get fingers round the edge whilst still connected) and non shielded pins

Looks like there might be some attempt at the ASTA diamond logo, but it's difficult to tell from the photo.

have a couple of IEC leads rated at 5 amps.
In my experiance the vast majority of IEC leads are made with 0.75mm (6A rated) flex, you can get ones with 1.0mm (10A rated) flex but they are by far the exception.

Note: afaict the ratings printed on the connectors on an IEC lead only relate to those connectors, not the assembly as a whole.

When looking at BS1362 fuses, remember that at one time the colors for some ratings were different from today, although 13A has always been brown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back