PAT testing for dummies...

yeah, the code bit i meant..
I thought it was something to do with the length..

unfortunately my brothers PAT tester is not that clever, you have to do it all step by step..

Sponsored Links
PAT testing is really part of inspection and testing of in-service electrical equipment. This includes everything other than fixed wiring.

To test an item with insulation testers, low ohm ohmmeters etc. Is very time consuming, so we test those items which can, with an all in one machine to speed up the process.

We also have to keep records and we could just write down “Kettle” as ID but most places will have more than one kettle so we give it a unique ID. For a small shop for example we could test all items on one day and not use any labels but again it makes it far easier to stick on a label then we can shift the responsible for checking the items have not missed the net to the user. You have also seen little squirrel stores where someone hides his calculator so others in the office will not wear the writing off the keys.

Where the problem starts is where the PAT testing is out sourced. The book defines a portable appliance as:- An appliance of less than 18 kg in mass that is intended to be moved while in operation or an appliance which can easily be moved from one place to another, e.g. toaster, food mixer. vacuum cleaner, fan heater.
This excludes hand dryers, fridges etc. and the manager will be responsible to ensure someone also tests these. It is sometime done by entering into a maintenance contract.

But often these items are just not tested.
As electricians we must be quite sure on what is expected from us. The normal way is to generate a list of all the items tested and send this with the bill.

However we are selling expertise and as such we should be pointing out what has not been tested. It is because we are selling expertise rather than doing work that the insurance is professional indemnity insurance not just public liability.

Where within an organization someone is appointed to manage the PAT testing doing what he can himself and contracting that which is beyond his skill out using a semi-skilled person is OK.
But where one is going in as an outside firm I would think to satisfy the insures there would need to be a much greater warranty of skill.

From the questions ColJack is asking I would wonder if he should be doing PAT testing?

There are two types of PAT tester.

Automatic where each type of test is pre-entered into the machine with the Robin I used this could be entered into the machine by the manager and typing in the code would set the machine so for example a special could be set up for long extension leads with RCD plugs. The same Robin machine owned by one company may have completely different codes to one owned by another.

There is also a completely manual PAT tester where the user has to record all reading and decide what tests to make. The latter does not need a set time for reading to settle so is much faster than automatic type. But Automatic types will not allow cheating and are better where semi-skilled operator is using it.

The flash test is done where equipment has been refurbished and there is a slim chance that a wrong screw may have been used and is to ensure no screw has in error touched something it shouldn’t have done.
Flash tests are NOT done for normal PAT testing as a detailed knowledge is required to prevent damage.

Even though PAT testing is boring in itself, having to write down all the results makes it 100x worse!
We went through an entire school (smallish jnr) with a manual PAT tester once - what a splitting headache that was!!

They only wanted the site equipment tested.. so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to check out a few dozen halogen lamps, 3 industrial vacuum cleaners and about 2 dozen extension leads... with the orr grinder and drill thrown in..

it's all in house stuff, he usually does it but is too busy and thought I could use the cash..

they did however have one electric heater in the office, and the tea machine on the test list..
whilst in there I noticed the new looking oil filled rads and asked about them not being on the list.. hence the question about their test frequency..

also, the tester kept asking me if I wanted to flash test when I told it the item being tested was class II so I thought I'd better ask here before doing it..

Sponsored Links
hi i am looking to take a pat testing course somewhere in the scotland, so was looking for some advice as to where you guys did so?

was thnking about taking the URL pat testing course in glasgow at my local college which is motherwell, what you think? I have had a look about and this colle looks to be decent facilities and is close. just need to speak to my boss about the money side of things. [/url]

It depends on your needs, your best bet is to have a word with the college

It would have been better if you had started a new topic of your own instead of hijacking a topic from 4 years ago :rolleyes:

But we are here now...
What is the purpose of doing a PA Testing course. Are you expecting to earn a living doing this, or is this an additional activity in your employment?

There's little prospect of this being a stand-alone money making activity. Especially as the new risk-based view on appliance testing means that it is not a guaranteed annual test for everything.
This may help: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg236.pdf

3. for things like oil filled radiators in an office, what is the re-test frequency?
Whatever the test/inspection schedule for that organisation/site says !

any electrical item in an office again should be tested annually (duty of care?)
No, they should be inspected according to the inspection schedule worked out, and tested to the testing schedule. There is no set period defined - the law only says that there should be a plan in place. There are guidelines (which I can't remember) which people tend to use.
For something like a large PC under a desk, it might be a visual inspection every 2 years, and a test every 4. For something like a corded kettle (so the cord gets a lot of stick) it might be inspect and test every 6 months.
In practice, there is a tendency to "get someone in" once a year and test everything - because that's a lot easier than learning what you arer actually supposed to be doing. And of course, those charging for this often aren't keen to correct the customer and do themselves out of work.

my understanding is that the manufacturer is liable for failure within first year
Not in a commercial environment. It is determined by the contract between supplier and purchaser - the manufacturer can (and I'm dealt with this) give (say) a 30 day warranty after which any repair/replacement is down to the purchaser. Usually (especially on the sort of things that are also consumer items) there' is a sensible length of manufacturer warranty.
Under EU legislation, anything sold to a consumer (ie not business) must have a 2 year basic warranty - Apple got hauled into court in Italy over this, they were still trying to charge extra for extended warranties without letting on that their 1 year standard warranty was only half the legal minimum.

but if anyone can be certain that this isn't the case then feel free to tell us your view
I felt free :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back