Pat Testing Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The new code of practice for Pat Testing states that all equipment including fixed appliances fed by a flexible cable that means fused spurs aswell come under Pat Testing, so how do you plug a fused spur into a Pat Tester?? The mind boggles. :confused:

So the P in Pat now stands for Permanent instead of Portable?

Sponsored Links
Why do some people use the term "Pat testing",anyone know where this derived from, as it seems to make no sense to me.

Was there not a comedien once who kept saying
"testing testing"

Sponsored Links
There has always been "Portable, Handheld, Stationary, Fixed, Moveable" in the PAT BS. As far as I know you have always had to test stuff fed by a fused spur. Hand driers, storage rads, panel heaters etc etc.

If you didnt, they would not get done when a PIR is done either usually.

I did some for the council in a school, and they wanted the cookers on the home ec rooms done to - standard fixed cookers on a 30amp cct.

There has always been "Portable, Handheld, Stationary, Fixed, Moveable" in the PAT BS. As far as I know you have always had to test stuff fed by a fused spur. Hand driers, storage rads, panel heaters etc etc.

If you didnt, they would not get done when a PIR is done either usually.

I did some for the council in a school, and they wanted the cookers on the home ec rooms done to - standard fixed cookers on a 30amp cct.
we only have to test pluggable stuff at work so its a bit academic but how would a "competant" person test say a hand drier with no qualification allowing them to test a final sub circuit and certify? Are we saying the Pat tester has to disconnect the appliance and connect a plug in order to test?And in removing said spur to disconnect does the circuit feeding the spur now have to be retested under the installation tests?

I can see a problem in that the Pat tester may have competantcy in Pat testing but may not necessarily have installation testing competancy
or will the new code for 2008 stipulate that the tester needs competancy in both?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back