PAT Testing figure 8 mains lead

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18243

Question for experienced PAT-ers;

How do you test the figure 8, two-core mains leads that come with laptop PSUs and radios?

My PAT tester does not have a socket for this type of cable so how do I test it. Will a visual test alone suffice?

Sponsored Links
On the lead and plugtop itself just a visual. Polarity isnt an issue as these usually get plugged into the apliance any way round.

Then do a IR test whilst attached to the appliance.

If you get a failed reading test the appliance with another lead attached. If the reading is still bad likely the appliance is shot if not then its the old lead.

Then the functional

Did that makes sense :LOL:

No it didn't. The IR test on a PAT tester is between the earth pin and the live conductors. The figure of 8 lead does not have an earth conductor, and will be used to power a Class II device, so how can you do an IR test? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
In theory any appliance using a figure of 8 lead should have duel pole switching and be class II. In the main they feed an isolating transformer.

Visual inspection only is required for lead. Plus of course showing it does work.

These caused a big problem where I worked as I considered that they could become unplugged and be dropped into any water on the floor so I would not pass them where used on shop floor.

However in offices where it was very unlikely to have water on floor I would pass them.

Of course you will get people moving equipment around and so equipment tested in an office would arrive on shop floor.

I was forever removing the lead sets from shop floor and also supplying them to office as the radio could be safely used with batteries so I passed radio only failed lead.

One cure I found was to do insulation test with wand and touch aerial no one seemed to want item after that. Seemed to blow them up every time.

Well just did not seem to sink in when I told them not to take them on shop floor but once the realised they stopped working they seemed to get the point.

These caused a big problem where I worked as I considered that they could become unplugged and be dropped into any water on the floor so I would not pass them where used on shop floor.

That seems a bit silly. It isn't your job as a PAT tester to perform a risk assessment with regard to how and where the equipment is to be used, but only to ensure that it is in a safe, working condition. Unless of course your job involved other responsibilities, i.e. you were some form of duty holder.

No it didn't. The IR test on a PAT tester is between the earth pin and the live conductors. The figure of 8 lead does not have an earth conductor, and will be used to power a Class II device, so how can you do an IR test? :rolleyes:

Not sure what PAT tester youre using but the way i was trained and still being quoted on PAT information sites

Insulation Resistance Test:
The applied test voltage should be approximately 500 Vdc

Class 1 heating equipment < 3kW 0.3M Ohms
Class 1 All other equipment 1M Ohms
Class 2 Equipment 2M Ohms
Class 3 Equipment 250k Ohms

IT equipment and other likely to be damaged by the 500v can now be tested at 250v but the results and class are the same.

You need to learn/remember the difference between a Class I and a Class II IR test, both of which will be offered by any PAT instrument. :rolleyes:

But as you mentioned in post #2, the only things you can do with an IEC C7 lead ('figure of 8') is a full visual, then a functional test.
IR and polarity tests would mean absolutely nothing, and would be a total waste of time.

That seems a bit silly. It isn't your job as a PAT tester to perform a risk assessment with regard to how and where the equipment is to be used, but only to ensure that it is in a safe, working condition.

Equipment has to be suitable for its purpose, that is why appliances should always be tested in situ.

In an office / low risk environment, HSE guidance does NOT require combined inspection/test for many types of appliance.

A more profitable alternative would be to offer to install a radio/amplifier with fixed speakers in the workshop.

I was the manager so the buck stopped with me and yes I want a PA as then it could be controlled better but they would not allow me to fit one.

Although as an in service electrical appliance tester one does not have to inspect to see guards are in place to me to put a green sticker saying inspected and tested implies it is fit to use. So even if electrical A1 I would still not pass any item which was not fit to use. The test paperwork would say "Guard missing unable to test" and it would get red do not use sticker.

This was supported by the top management and I would think most firms if asked would support the idea.

I was the manager so the buck stopped with me and yes I want a PA as then it could be controlled better but they would not allow me to fit one.

That's fair enough, suspected it might be the case. While I appreciate that equipment should be selected correctly dependant upon the environment in which it is to be used, I imagine there would be a rather adverse reaction if you turned up as contractor to carry out PAT testing and started failing equipment that was perfectly serviceable.

IR would show if the inner cores were shorted.

I don't think it will, my PAT tester shorts the L&N together and tests to earth (AVO PAT4 DVF).
If there are any metal parts on a class 2 appliance the earth clip on the PAT tester is attached to them for the duration of the test.
When testing laptop PSUs I connect the croc clip to the outer part of the DC jack plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back