PAT Testing a Figure 8 cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm using the BATT PAT to do PAT Testing and need some help testing the Figure 8 cable.

I have got an adaptor which mean I can plug this into the IEC and perform the test for power cords.

The tests keep failing....can anyone offer any advice please??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What test is failing? Some figure 8 cable is not rated for 240 Volts, best to only use it for 12v. Hence its other name "bellwire"

I'm using the power cord test which I have done with all Kettle type IECs and also the cloverleaf ones which have all passed which usually gives a green tick on Earth Continuity, Insulation Resistance and Polarity which gives an overall pass.

I'm doing the same test with the figure 8 adaptor but the Earth Continuity is failing but the Insulation Resistance and Polarity are passing but this is still giving an overall fail.

Any ideas??

Thanks

I'm doing the same test with the figure 8 adaptor but the Earth Continuity is failing but the Insulation Resistance and Polarity are passing but this is still giving an overall fail. Any ideas??
If it's 2-core figure-of-8, then it obviously won't have an earth conductor and therefore, equally obviously, will fail an 'earth continuity' test - as would any 2-core cable.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I understand it does not have an earth wire so how or what tests should I do on it please??

Thanks

I understand it does not have an earth wire so how or what tests should I do on it please??
I would think everything other than the 'earth continuity' test (and any insulation-resistance-to-earth tests that it may try to do).

Were you not taught about testing 2-core cables when you were trained in PATesting?

Kind Regards, John

I used a Robin PAT testing machine in one of my jobs which would record all the tests, and I had to write in my own test for many of the items because the standard tests either did or did not do some thing.

One example was long extension leads with RCD plugs, the earth loop impedance or earth continuity can be much higher when using a RCD so I had to write the test to suit.

There are two exams for PAT testing and where I worked it was considered the first PAT test for any item should be done by an electrician who had the skill required to select what tests were to be done with that item, it would have a equipment ID assigned and once that first test was completed then it was considered that a semi-skilled person could then do the testing after using the code selected by the electrician.

Since then there has been the court case where a woman was killed which the court considered was due to the testing being done by semi-skilled personal, this resulted in the foreman being found guilty of manslaughter for using semi-skilled labour to do inspecting and testing, the semi-skilled guy only had to write down the results after plugging in a tester and pressing the button, however instead of putting down the reading which was likely OL he went into the rest rooms and asked his mates and put down a figure which would have been expected, as a result the damaged earth caused by a plaster putting a fixing through the cable was missed, after that court case there has been a rethink as to using semi-skilled labour.

I think most electricians would expect the semi-skilled guy would have been found guilty, simple enough press button and write down the reading, however that was not the case. With an automatic PAT tester it is likely the courts may allow it to be used by semi-skilled labour, however as you start to put in options then the skill required increases, it is down to the manager to decide if the semi-skilled person should one have the option select which test, and two if so can they write the test?

When I tested radios with fig 8 leads in the office I would pass them, exactly the same radio in the factory I would fail, the reason was in the factory there could be water, and the lead could be pulled out and fall into the water, this is why PAT testing needs you to go to the device rather than people bringing the devices to you. Also of course the equipment register has the location which is important.

When one does PAT testing one is using your professional knowledge, and you need insurance to match that, I am not saying you need professional indemnity insurance as some other insurance also covers, but where working for a company it is important what title you are given, I have worked for Laing many times, in the main as an electrician, however when building the seven bridge I was given the title foreman mechanic to give me extra pay, as a result I was not permitted to work without another electrician being with me. My skill had not reduced, but the title I had been given resulted in an insurance problem, and of course the whole idea of PAT testing is for some one to take responsibility for the equipment they are testing, so you have to dot all i's and cross all t's or no point in doing it.

At my last place we bought a BattPAT - on checking the manual there is no test specifically for 2 core leads. So just use the normal test and ignore the earth continuity fail.
The best PAT failure story I ever heard was many years ago from the offices of a very large business/IT manufacturer. The PAT instructions required the tester to check the connections in the plug - so he figured that all moulded plugs had to be removed and replaced with rewireable ones so he could take the tops off to inspect the connections.

At my last place we bought a BattPAT - on checking the manual there is no test specifically for 2 core leads.

There's no test available on any PAT tester that will accommodate 2-core leads fitted with figure 8 connectors (IEC C1)

Earth Continuity: not appliacable
Insulation Resistance: the lead has no earth connection, and is fully enclosed in insulation, so unless you take the advice of the crazier fringes of PAT testing, and wrap it up in foil, the IR test would be meaningless.
Polarity: C1 connectors have no polarity, so meaningless.

The only 2-core leads that could give a meaningful polarity test are C3, C17 & C23.

So just use the normal test and ignore the earth continuity fail.

But still pretty pointless

The best PAT failure story I ever heard was many years ago from the offices of a very large business/IT manufacturer. The PAT instructions required the tester to check the connections in the plug - so he figured that all moulded plugs had to be removed and replaced with rewireable ones so he could take the tops off to inspect the connections.

Aw, bless :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back