PAT testing using a multifunction meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any reason why I couldn't make up a lead with a socket on it, and connect it to my fluke 1653 for pat testing? After all it can do the insulation resistance and the continuity measurements. Don't want to fork out for a pat tester when I only do a small amount of the bloomin job anyway!

What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Note that with one of those adaptors on an installation tester (and with some bottom of the market dedicated pat testers for that matter) you can't do a leakage test with the appliance running, only an IR test with it not running.

This is an issue if the appliance has components that are connected to the mains and are switched by relays since it means that those components cannot easilly be tested.

Sponsored Links
The pat tester at work is a seaward one, and apparently cost a fair few quid, but that one doesn't do a leakage or run test.

Will be testing anything from office equipment, workshop equipment and extension leads etc, home items etc etc, so everything really! Why do you ask, johnmelad?

I don't do much, but appliance testing has to be one of the most boring jobs going, so any machine that speeds it up is well worth the money.
I think a leakage test is a function you will want to have.

It is hard to make any money out of it, so I understand your reluctance to spend.
You can get a decent little tester - Kewtech, which does the basics for £330 just seen a new one on ebay for £220

Some firms do the testing for so little money its not worth even thinking about, however I generally find they tend not to test things like cookers, hand dryers, hard wired appliances.

With risk based assessment being pushed more now the once a year visit is changing. Some appliances don't need such frequency and some need more regular checks.

So what I am starting to do is sign up companies for several shorter visits over the year. When done like this, and pointing out that you do it properly and include fixed equipment, you can charge more.

PAT Testing!
PIN Number!
TUC Congress!

Dooh!

and stop referring to vacuum cleaning as "hoovering"

I prefer to go "Panosonicing" or "Dysoning" or "Bisseling" or "Vaxing" my carpets

:LOL:

I also read the HSE report with interest where it criticised the once a year test. However to follow the recommendation of test periods varying according to environment and equipment type requires a computerised record in most cases to highlight those items requiring testing.

Cordless kettles I only give 6 month tests on as so often the earth pin looses contact and requires cleaning.

In an ideal world all items bought and put into service should be recorded on the plant list so the tester knows where to go to test them but this often does not happen.

The idea of checking every room for items requiring testing then testing only those requiring a re-test will not work where charging per item tested. One would go into rooms where nothing was being tested.

I had considered testing with the normal 3 meter test set but the problem was batteries with the continuity and insulation tester would quickly run out and using the loop tester the results would vary according to socket used. Also using 200ma rather than 25 amp to test continuity would not likely highlight faulty cordless kettle earth connection problems.

As to the run test this I have talked about many times. Items like frost free freezers, dish washers, washing machines, etc will have parts that may not become active until run for at least 1/2 hour and clearly one will not test for that amount of time. So to locate faulty items which is causing a RCD to trip the run function with ma reading will help but together with the very high voltage test with class II equipment it is only used where some thing special is looked for and as long as there is a good earth continuity then any faults will rupture fuse or trip RCD so fail safe.

To my mind in the main it is the fail safe function we are more interested in and to do a insulation resistance and a leakage test is often not required.

If we find a bed side lamp without a bulb fitted should we fail it? Clearly there are contacts which if energised could be touched and cause a shock but also to have to get the lamp re-tested once a bulb is fitted. The last testing I did was some 40 miles away and to return to re-test an item after a bulb is fitted is not really cost effective and we have to use some common sense.

PAT Testing!
PIN Number!
TUC Congress!
Dooh!
It's really not quite as simple as you (and others) make out. If one doesn't qualify abbreviations like 'PAT', the English can sound clumsy, and can often be ambiguous.

In fact, taking your example, the 'T' of 'PAT' does not stand for 'Testing' but, rather, 'Test'. If one literally means 'test', then just using the unqualified abbreviation ('PAT') is usually OK, but if one means Testing, Tester or anything else, one really needs to say so - or else invent even more 'orrible abbreviations, like PATer and PATing!

Kind Regards, John

Oh, I think that's taking it too far.

PAT testing is not Portable Appliance Test testing; that would mean testing the test.

'What is your PIN?' would be correct, not 'What is your PIN number?

Oh, I think that's taking it too far. PAT testing is not Portable Appliance Test testing; that would mean testing the test.
Yes, that's literally true - and it really illustrates why one probably should not use the abbreviation at all if one wants a meaning other than the defined meaning of the abbreviation. In other words, if one wants to say "Portable Appliance Tester" or "Portable Appliance Testing" one should theoretically write/say just that, and not make an attempt to 'adapt'/qualify an abbreviation which is not quite right.

Having said all that, since everyone understands exactly what is meant by all these 'incorrect expressions', I don't think it's worth getting excited about, even at the weekend!

The meaning of "PIN Number" is also universally understood (albeit just "PIN" is also very widely used) - although, in that case, I agree that the 'Number' bit is simply an unnecessary duplication (as would be "PAT Test").

Kind Regards, John

The meaning of "PIN Number" is also universally understood.
Ah, but, whilst not getting excited, you are overestimating most people.

I would maintain that most do not realise what it stands for or that it stands for anything, merely that your 'pin',(not an abbreviation) is a name for something associated with the card, and therefore, for example, 1234 IS your pin number.

Also, as above, why would anyone choose to buy a Vax and then 'hoover' with it.
It is not that they have made a mistake but that they know no better.

Ah, but, whilst not getting excited, you are overestimating most people. I would maintain that most do not realise what it stands for or that it stands for anything, merely that your 'pin',(not an abbreviation) is a name for something associated with the card, and therefore, for example, 1234 IS your pin number.
That's possible - and, as you say, if that's the way they understand it, then 'PIN number' would be totally logical. Again, I think that most people also understand "What is your PIN?", even if they think that's sloppy language and that the 'number' has been omitted.
Also, as above, why would anyone choose to buy a Vax and then 'hoover' with it.
Language evolves, in all sorts of ways and for all sorts of reasons. I've just had a quick look, and can't find any dictionary which does not include 'hoover' as a verb. When did you last install a 'Henley Block' made by Henley (if they still exist!), and when did you last refer to a 'Henley Block' (or even just 'Henley')? :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back