PAT test and RCD protection.

if your tools are Class II, what tests are actually required?
(Hint: Only two tests are usual, one is non-applicable, the other is pointless)

I assume the first one you mean is an earth bond continuity test (obviously non-applicable for Class II!).
The other is the insulation resistance test, which for Class II tools such as drills, hot air guns (as above) etc, with big chunks of exposed metal on them, would be far from pointless.

Sponsored Links
Why do you think a portable plug in transformer (yellow brick) will come under the Requirements for Electrical Installations BS7671:2008?
You do have a point. However 704.511.1 says All assemblies on construction and demolition sites for the distribution of electricity shall be in compliance with the requirements of BS EN 60439-4.
A plug or socket-outlet with a rated current equal to or greater than 16 A shall comply with the requirements of BS EN 60309-2.

Because the transformer is for the distribution of electricity I would consider it is covered by BS7671:2008 but the way it is worded does I agree leave some room for classing a transformer weighing less than 18 kg a portable equipment and testing them as required for portable equipment.

However the fact still remains where long extension leads are used unless a RCD is fitted an earth fault can cause a fire before the protective device automatically disconnects the supply.

I still don't think a yellow brick transformer falls under BS7671:2008, otherwise if they required an RCD then one would have to be supplied with the unit. I personally wouldn't class a yellow brick as distribution equipment, more a portable appliance.
Extension leads should be kept to the minimum length, I think it is specified in the code of practice for in service inspection and testing of electrical equipment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back