PAT testing a new computer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys n gals

Just a quick one.... Does a new computer need PAT testing?

Its to be used in an office environment where testing took place several months ago.

Thanks in advance.... and Merry Christmas

M.A.

Sponsored Links
There is no need to do it, pc's operate at elv. You can test the 240v power cord and thats about it.

Don't be an idiot. Computers need PAT testing. Just because the internal components run at ELV, they are still a mains appliance and they still need to be tested.

You are starting to become a pain with all your misleading advice you post on this forum.

If the computer is new, it will have been tested at the factory, and will not need testing until next time the rest of the appliances are due.

Sponsored Links
You can test the 240v power cord and thats about it.
PCs PSUs are (assuming ordinary desktops, some laptops and small form factor machines aren't) class 1 devices so they can and should be tested for earth bonding and leakage when PAT testing.

I've seen opinions both ways on whether new equipment needs to be tested or whether the manufacturers testing can be assumed to be adequate.

You are starting to become a pain with all your misleading advice you post on this forum.

What misleading advise, please list the misleading advise given. :LOL:

Why is it that most large companies I deal with no longer pat test pc's or similar devices, they just replace the flexible leads every couple of years.

I have been in the IT business for about 10 years and all the stickers I have seen have been attached to the PLUG only, never to the equipment.
This includes EPOS base units/printers/scanners/desktop and laptop PCs.
In a former employment I repaired TV receivers and remember one occasion where a PAT testing person had failed EVERY TV in every room ( about 60 of them ) When I explained to him that there was a 1meg ohm resistor between the two sides of the switch mode supply he went round and passed them all!!

ALL new equipment must be inspected and tested and added to the asset list before being put into service, this includes computers.
We have had new equipment fail a PAT test streight out of the box before today.

ALL new equipment must be inspected and tested and added to the asset list before being put into service, this includes computers.
We have had new equipment fail a PAT test streight out of the box before today.

In an ideal world, yes but this is the real world..

This is the real world, the world of if something was to happen someone else is looking for someone to blame.......

The last fail we had btw was an earth and L2 reversal on a piece of RLV equipment, hence the chassis would have been live albeit at 55v.

When I did my Portable Appliance Testing course last year, I asked about brand new appliances. Short answer was that , you should trust the manufacturer. But...... probably needs to be tested to cover your own back.
Just remember, with IT equipment, you should only test the mains cables, not the IT equipment itself.

What is Portable Appliance Testing testing? :rolleyes:

Is this where you test the test instrument prior to testing the portable appliances?

Or is it just an example of Redundant Acronym Syndrome? (Or RAS syndrome if you prefer :) )

What misleading advise, please list the misleading advise given. :LOL:

Why is it that most large companies I deal with no longer pat test pc's or similar devices, they just replace the flexible leads every couple of years.

Sorry, but I'm with RF on this one. If the lead is permanently attached to the appliance then obviously it must be treated as a part of the appliance itself. If the power cord is removable, as is usually the case with computers, the power cored and power supply internal to the computer should be tested as two separate entities.

I can't see, by any stretch of the imagination, how you can justify NOT testing the computer's PSU. Granted that the number of tests that can be performed may be limited, but as a minimum you still need to know you have good earth continuity, considering how the filters integrated into SMPSUs rely on the earth connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back