Pat Testing Course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some urgent advice im doing an online Pat testing assessment with Napit. Only 10 questions 80% is a pass failed it twice (I could not believe it) lol

I've looked up answers in the Code of Practice book and could not find them. could anyone help with these questions?

Equipment with protective conductor current designed to exceed 3.5mA and supplied with an industrial Plug and socket to BS 60309-2 must have an internal protective conductor of not less than?
Answers:
1.5mm2
0.75mm2
0.50mm2
1.00mm2

When using certain types of test equipment with leads that haven't been nulled, a result can be obtained by carrying out what action on the actual test results?
Answers:
nulled
ignored
decreased
increased

the test instrument used for testing equipment which as non-safety screen
Answers:
an approved test lampwith leads conforming to GS 38
A low current continuity tester with a range of 20mA to 200mA
aA test current no less than 25 A
A test current not less than 1.5 times the fuse rating

Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
If this is what PAT'ing entails, I've been doing things very wrongly for the last 20 years!

Question one almost makes sense?
But this is nothing I've had to consider before...

(Click the link above for an extract from The Electricians Guide Fifth Edition - Special regs for equipment with high earth currents)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
In my old 2008 copy it seems to be 543.7.1.2 where it states
(ii) A flexible cable with a plug and socket-outlet complying with BS EN 60309-2, provided that either:
(a) the protective conductor of the associated flexible cable is of a cross-sectional area not less than 2.5mm² for plugs rated at 16A and not less than 4 mm² for plugs rated above 16A, or
(b) the protective conductor of the associated flexible cable is of a cross-sectional area not less than that of the line conductor
Which means non of the options are correct? To be frank I have never fitted any equipment exceeding 3.5 mA leakage. Well not in UK anyway.

The second question does not say what test results, if it stated loop impedance or R1 + R2 then there may be an answer, but as it is it seems a daft question.

What is a "non-safety screen" I would say it was screening for RF interference, I will guess it is talking about the damage which can be done to some IT equipment using the 25 amp bonding test, so I would guess 200 mA is the answer, but I have never testing screening as part of the inspection and testing of in service electrical equipment. I have tested earth bonding, but that would be safety screen not non safety screen.

One some times wonder where they get the questions from, now dropped, but the "and others" was the difference between skilled and competent, it was a regular question on the regulations exam, and one does wonder why the question was ever asked.

I would suspect if one reads the IET current inspection and testing of in service electrical equipment book there will be some reference to those questions, my book is 15 year old, so can't help, I would expect the question has some bit missing, as with my "and others" when I did the three courses I had to I seem to remember do some practical tests, maybe it was only with the C&G 2391, it was too long ago, I have just had to do a manual handling exam on line, how daft, at my age if I tried picking stuff up like they say, I would need a crane to also lift me.

Just smile and wave boys.

Well, I passed my C&G 2377 about 12 years ago and I can't answer those questions. Has something been lost when they have been repeated here, or is it a cut and paste from the NAPIT screen?

Thanks for all yur help
I have the latest in service book but no reference to any of these questions. Im goimg to have one more go and if i fail il have words with NAPIT

The second question does not say what test results, if it stated loop impedance or R1 + R2 then there may be an answer, but as it is it seems a daft question.
Apart from it being a daft question, I interpret it as relating to earth bond resistance testing - in order to test something out of reach of the tester, we may need an extension lead to sit in-between. This lead hasn't been "Nulled", so....
a result can be obtained by carrying out what action on the actual test results?
the actual earth bond resistance would be "Decreased"

For question one, from the TLC link,
"In all cases the protective conductor must have a minimum size of 1.5mm²"

But question 3?

Last edited:
Apart from it being a daft question, I interpret it as relating to ....
But question 3?
There's clearly something very wrong with any exam if people who theoretically ought to be able to easily pass it find themselves having to discuss the meaning and interpretation of the questions !

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back