PAT testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to borrow a PAT testing machine to test some equipment I've got so I can make sure all my equipment passes and give the plugs green stickers.

Are the machines hard to use?

Can I run the machine myself and stick the stickers on etc?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
So there's no training or anything on top of being "competent"???

Are the machines easy to use?

I take it I can sign the stickers myself even though it's my company and my gear?

Cheers

Training is part of competency, as is knowing what to look out for, understanding the machine and the test results which it gives you.
Each machine operates differently, some have a keyboard for entering details etc. The machine needs to be in calibration.
Some machines store the test results for download later, others you need to record them manually.
You can do the testing yourself providing in the eyes of the law you are competent, i.e. can you prove you are competent?
It doesn't matter one iota who the equipment belongs to, the tester needs to be competent to prevent danger or injury.

Sponsored Links
Depends on what it is, its use and the environment which it is subject to.

How often does the gear need to be tested?

All of this and the answers to most of the questions you have asked are in the
IEE Code of Practice for the In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrial Equipment

You will have referred to this when you are trained to carry out PAT testing and will have a copy.

Do not do it unitl you have been trained.

The Electricity at Work regulations states that:

"No person shall be engaged in any work activity where technical knowledge or experience is necessary to prevent danger, or where appropriate, injury, unless he possesses such knowledge or experience, or is under such degree of supervision as may be appropriate having regard to the nature of the work".

The IEE Code of Practice states:

Those carrying out the inspection and testing must be competent to undertake the inspection and, where appropriate, testing of electrical equipment and appliances having due regard of their own safety and that of others.

What should be considered is that the 'danger' to be prevented, includes not just the dangers which may arise during the testing procedure to the tester and others, but also the dangers which may arise at a later date as a result of using equipment which has not been effectively tested.

The tester must have an understanding of the modes of electrical, mechanical or thermal damage to electrical equipment and appliances and their flexes which may be encountered in any environment.

So here's your starter question for 10.

What is the difference between a Class 1 and a Class 2 piece of electrical equipment. (Hint: this is a very basic question).

[quote="Taylortwocities";p="1421613
So here's your starter question for 10.

What is the difference between a Class 1 and a Class 2 piece of electrical equipment. (Hint: this is a very basic question).[/quote]

Class 1 appliances are the very best you can buy for your money, class 2 appliances are appliances that have been taken back to shops and resold, or have inperfections, kind of like seconds.

Please do not take this post seriously.

Hi,

I'm trying to borrow a PAT testing machine to test some equipment I've got so I can make sure all my equipment passes and give the plugs green stickers.

Are the machines hard to use?

Can I run the machine myself and stick the stickers on etc?

Thanks

What are you testing and in what environment?

One of the most important parts of PAT testing is the visual inspection, this is conducted first before going anywhere near the PAT tester.

how many pieces of "gear" are there? might be simpler to engage the services of a pat testing outfit

Thanks for your help guys.... really appreciate your time and help.

I've got a very small disco business running - all above board and tax etc is paid (of course!) And I'm doing a disco for a local secondary school as a favour.

I've got about 20 sockets that all need testing and seeing as I know a local charity that bought a PAT tester I was going to borrow it rather than paying to have each item tested.

I'm doing the school disco for free but they've asked if my gear is PAT tested.... which atm isn't.

I have public liability insurance for 1million.

Cheers

So don't try and do it yourself. Get someone in to do it.

Its the gear and the connections and the PLUGS.

The sockets are in the school, aren't they? That's what you plug in to.

I'd believe sockets, as in extension cables, in a disco. I guess you'd have as many sockets as plugs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back