PAT testing

Sorry I ment plugs..... I'm tired on a Friday evening after a long week!?!?

Well I've got lots of extension leads and then lots of pieces of equipment... all of which are only about 18months old.

Surely borrowing the tester (which cost them £200+) would be worth borrowing to do the tests?

Sponsored Links
sounds like you've been wasting your money on the insurance so far as you are running a legit business but your kit hasnt been certified or documented.
As your gear is in use in public places (members of the public present)you may find you need testing fairly regularly.

Chris, why would you risk the safety of a hall full of school kids to save yourself a few quid? ok you are not being paid for this job but you say you are legit so you have been paid for plenty of other work and it is an allowable expense, so get fully legit and protect ALL your customers, do you realise why items need to be PAT tested?
with what you intend to do for all the good it will do you would be better getting your mate PAT to look at the stuff and say it is ok :eek:

IMO if you are doing something like this it's a good idea to do the PAT testing training, not only will it save you money long term but more importantly it will mean you know what is considered acceptable, what kind of damage to look for etc.

BTW with any inspection and testing the inspection is just as important as the testing if not more so. Testing can only find a rather limited subset of dangerous faults.

Sponsored Links
yeah absolutely I wanna be legit... I just thought I could use the friends machine seeing as he paid over £200 for it?

IS this not the case then?

Twenty Plugs, this must be some wheels of steel outfit, with funky smoke machines and every thing.

Sounds great fun!

I am down the road in Portsmouth, just done my pat testing City and Guilds and up to date on these things. If you drop over one lunch time we could go through all of the extension leads together. If it is just extension leads then a local co might do them cheaper than even the petrol over to me.

Anyhow let me know. It is good to give something back occasionally

Martin:cool:

Martin you are a star!

The only problem is I'm in eastbourne so quite a long way away.

What sort of price is it to have it done per appliance then? Is there no way to use my friends machine and do it myself?

Cheers

I wouldn't have thought it would cost much for PAT testing. I think someone quoted my Dad £25 for my Mom's sunbed business PAT testing.

I was stopped from using my lap top in collage as it was not PAT tested so that night I tested it and wrote out the paperwork. Next day back in college I handed over the paper work. And got reply "I don't want that has to be tested by our own in-house people" this it seems was their IT department who then said "Oh it's OK just use it and say I said it was OK" I tell you this as you may find the school is the same and all electrical equipment has to be tested by an approved tester within their organisation.

All PAT testing should be done with consideration for the environment in which the equipment is used so in theory it should be tested where it is being used.

Extension leads especially. As where the outlets are to BS7671:2008 long leads may be OK but where wired to a previous edition then they may need RCD plugs to pass.

Of course for you to be trained on how to test and inspect would be good and C&G 2377 is normally considered as showing you have the required skill. And of course you should have an equipment register and all items should be accounted for. However there is no need for labels only the forms which you can download here pages 19 to 26 are for PAT testing and if you look at forms page 21 is bit you need to fill in and 22 gives a description on what each item means 1 to 30.

You want BS 7671:2008 forms click here to directly download PDF one you see the form you will have a far better idea of what is required. Don't worry about pages before 19 they are for the permanent wiring.

But do check with school as they may need to do it them selves and you may be doing this all for no reason.

Where I worked I would re-test and inspect all contractors equipment as we were responsible for health and safety of the site. And when I caught contractors on the roof without safety harnesses I expelled them from site. I could not sack them but I could remove site pass. And having seen some of the tested equipment no way would I ever accept any one but direct employees signature on any test certificate.

All too often PAT testing could be better called "Label Sticking" as sorry to say many firms just give each item a glance and stick on a label. How else could anyone PAT test 300 items per day?

What if they get caught! Well it was not like that when I tested it. Unless you set a trap near impossible to catch them out. If you can prove it was unserviceable before testing and you allowed it to be used then you have just shot yourself in the foot as you should have stopped it from being used.

So for many firms sad to say PAT testing is not worth the paper it is written on.

Of course many also do a good job. But I would be very wary of sub contracting the job as even national firms seem to regard it as just a way to make money.

Further reading Regina v Associated Octel Ltd it does seem the school would be safer to do their own PAT testing to avoid any court case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back