Patch/filling brick+frame wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!
My house was built circa 1935 and has foundations as thick as sheet of card :)

All of the interior walls have vertical cracks developing in the corners where the inside walls meet the outside structural walls, and I've discovered recently that it's because the inside walls are built from wooden frame and brick.

I'm currently refurbing the kitchen where one of these cracks has been present in the corner for years. I've removed the loose plaster which has exposed the wooden batten where it meets the cavity wall.

What would be the best way to proceed with patching over the wood? Would any kind of flexible filler be best or is there something I can apply to the wood before filling?

The size of the wooden exposed 'batten' is about 3" after the loose plaster has been removed.

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
crack1.jpg

crack2.jpg

The wooden framing is more like 2 inches thick.

Assuming there is no structural probs then what i would do is apply some thinned down PVA on problem areas, then once dry apply "Expanding Foam Polyfilla". Then once dried and expanded, cut to level with wall. Then fill over with Red Devil filler and rub down http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FXRMF1.html AS RED DEVIL DRIES FLEXIBLE. However once you paint over, you may notice different flashing due to diferent products on wall (i.e. filler against solid plaster), therefore paint your walls with Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt and follow instructions on tin. Also, i could explain another way for you though Plastering over it would prob crack in 6 months !

Sponsored Links
hack off 4 or 5" either side of the timber and fix some EML (expanded metal lathing) over the timber and bricks then use sand and cement to fill out. Let it dry and skim this will tie it together and is a lot stronger. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'll weigh it up, there will be cupboards going in that corner so it's pobably less likely I'll do anything too drastic, but there are other places on the wall that will be uncovered and are also in need of strengthening up.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back