patch in wall

M

marsaday

I have a circular patch in the wall near where the new stairs have gone in.

This needs filling with bonding and skimming.

BUT could i just use a sand/lime/cement mix instead and skim over that. I have a load of these left over, but will need to buy a new bag of bonding just for this small patch.

If i can do i need to score the mix after it has hardened ?

Sponsored Links
BUT could i just use a sand/lime/cement mix instead and skim over that. I have a load of these left over, but will need to buy a new bag of bonding just for this small patch.

If i can do i need to score the mix after it has hardened ?

I don't see why not, though will take longer.
Using sand/cement/lime will take longer to harden than bonding 'going off'.
I.e. you would need to apply the s/c/lime, score it for a better key, and then leave until the next day ideally. (You score whilst still wet, but firmed a bit).
I would scrim tape over the joint (as it's probably a different material than what's on the rest of your wall and may expand differently and crack the finish at a later date). I would then multi over the top. Depending on size of wall, whether I try to blend in or re-skim the whole wall.
Of course if not competent skimmer, you could consider easi-fill.

Though for the extra £5ish if you went with Bonding, you would get the job done in the same day, as it goes off quicker than s/c.

Try & use whatever is there already i.e. if render base use render, if base plaster use a base plaster. As newbie99 says, different materials expand & contract at different rates & could mean you get cracks forming where the two meet. Fill the base out in two hits rather than slapping it all in there, less chance of cracking.

A little trick is to remove the layer of finish skim from the base around 30mm or so all around the patch, fill out the render/plaster repair flush with this, add a good dose of reinforcing tape where the base coats join, then skim out & finish flush. Blending Multi can be tricky if you’re inexperienced so you may need a little filler but don’t use too much water in an attempt to smooth it out or you’ll end up with a mushy mess between the two & it won’t adhere. I usually fill out repairs flush with the base & re-skim the entire wall, it’s the only real way of guaranteeing you won’t see the join.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the info. reskimming the whole wall will be a pain, but it may need to be done.

i think i will go with bonding as i also have another patch to do which i forgot about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back