Patch plaster or feather and paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've ended up scraping back some loose flakey paintwork in my kitchen and lounge.

I'm wondering if I should just sand the edges and paint it, or should I be looking to plaster these patches? The walls aren't exactly perfect everywhere anyway

I have some multifinish, can I just skin a bit on to these patches?

In the kitchen the patches are so shallow, less than a mm. I'm wondering if plastering will create more issues?

In the lounge it's deeper, maybe 1/1.5mm ish

Any advice would be great. This was an unexpected speed bump

20201105_125525.jpg
20201105_125619.jpg

Sponsored Links
Even for such a big patch? What kind of filler would you use for this
I wouldn't use plaster. Plaster can't be sanded as such, so if all of the other existing paint fails, you are left with this massive lump of plaster that you can't do anything with.

You can fill the whole patch, or just the edges, depending on what you feel like doing.

Filling the whole patch is bound to make the surface smoother.

Easi-fill may well be the stuff to use, others may have better ideas.

Sponsored Links
Is that some skim filler come off?
Sand.
Seal
I use quick drying makegood ready mixed. Bang on best you can. Sands easy. Needs priming if you want to fill over itself. Use thinned pva as sealer following guide on tub. I say ready mixed as no messing about mixing. Sticks well. Easy sand. Can just pop lid and get on with it after quick mix (wooden spoon in drill)

Is that some skim filler come off?
Sand.
Seal
I use quick drying makegood ready mixed. Bang on best you can. Sands easy. Needs priming if you want to fill over itself. Use thinned pva as sealer following guide on tub. I say ready mixed as no messing about mixing. Sticks well. Easy sand. Can just pop lid and get on with it after quick mix (wooden spoon in drill)

I can't find that on screw fix, would anything below work for my needs? :

https://www.screwfix.com/c/sealants-adhesives/multi-purpose-fillers/cat850102

Don't laugh. But if you get it on you can use a window squeegee to flatten. They actually sell them much wider though for spray plaster but for the DIY person, one of those shower ones for £1 will do. Flattens off a treat.. Then sand. I've tried the screwfix own ready mix and never got on with it in the big tubs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back