Patch up downpipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I share a downpipe with a neighbour.

It is cast iron and it is leaking in heavy rain. Water is running down the pipe and hitting the pavement i think, but it is a sort of hidden water run. So you only really see it in heavier rain.

I am getting a damp patch inside where the water is falling onto the pavement and then stays around.

The downpipe also has a hole in it. I am not sure if this hole is the reason why the water is coming down the outside of the pipe, but it might be.

Can i tape this hole up ? Ideally replace would be the best option, but this is not possible at the moment. So temp fixes appreciated.

Sponsored Links
if your capable of climbing a ladder and doin basic diy then its best to replace the pipe with plastic pipe and fittings.and probly almost as quick and cheap as messin about with tapes.
the outlet fitting on the gutter run might be knackered so no matter the taping it will still leak.so the outlet needs having a look at as well before anything else.

i dont understandwhats happening at the bottom of the pipe near the ground youd have to post a photo to show? splash water will show green algay after a while

Thanks for info. I can change all this no problem, but it is shared and at the moment i need a temp fix.

What tapes do people use on cast iron. Is it just a case of using gaffer tape ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back