patching damaged plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been covered many times before, I did a quick search but didn't find anything completely relevant.

We have a couple of patches under the downstairs bay where the top coat of plaster has blown (approx 1.5/2.0sq ft each -just the top layer to a depth of 3mm or so). As a plastering novice I need to know the best way to tackle this please, do I wet the area to be plastered or apply some pva? and should I just use standard finishing plaster or is there something else specifically designed for this this type of application?

Sorry about the mixed imperial/metric units.

Any advice gratefully received

Sponsored Links
Firstly clean the area from dust and any other loose plaster.
Then prime the area with PVA and leave to dry for the day.
Next day re-apply PVA, leave to go tacky.
Then using multi-finish, do a two coat finish.

Thanks for the reply,

I have noticed on other posts that the pva should be diluted with 3 parts water would that be the appropriate dilution here as well?

you could always use easifill for that size of area, means you'll have to do some sanding but if you've never plastered before you'll probably get a better finish.

Sponsored Links
I have noticed on other posts that the pva should be diluted with 3 parts water would that be the appropriate dilution here as well?

It will depend on the PVA you use, I would follow the guidelines on the container but 3-1 or 4-1 is standard procedure.

If I go down the route of using easifill, do I still need to prime the area with pva as previously recommended?

If I go down the route of using easifill, do I still need to prime the area with pva as previously recommended?
I would PVA the basecoat even if you were using easifill as this will also prevent suction and the easifill having all the moisture removed from it, this will help prevent the compound from over shrinking and cracking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back