Patching Sandstone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would appreciate some advice on this one. I think I have read every google article on this and the advice is contradictory.
These are pictures of part of my back garden wall which is soft sandstone, spalling or de-laminating badly and previously damaged with cement mortar. There are deep indentations and some of the stone surface is extremely soft (some OK). I tried one patch with Hansons cement mortar and PVA ...this used a lot of product (as I am small scale and purchase bags and do small mixes) and really this does not look the answer (and I am not sure I am doing the right thing either
Can I ask what others do with this? Is there an optimal way? I am tempted to pull out all the cement (which is likely to cause a bit of damage) and just "point" it but I will be left with a soft spalling surface in places.
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
The use of cement is the issue, its causing moisture to escape through the sandstone which is effecting its integrity.

Remove the cement and re-point in lime.

Stones that are face bedded instead of on their natural bed will often delaminate.

I would agree with the above but I don't totally buy into the "cement bad lime good" argument.

Difficult to say from the photos but I would strongly suspect that mortar is rock hard, probably a 1:3 mix. That is the main problem.

I would rake it out, probably more like drill/cut/hammer it out as it will be so hard with the unavoidable damage to the stone and repoint in a nice soft 1:1:6 mix (cement:hydrated lime:sand).

As for the damaged stones, not much you can do about that. Sometimes you can take the stone out and turn it around if the back face has been dressed but a fiddly job in a wall like that.

Sponsored Links
Thanks
I can re point using a lime mix (once I source some)...is there anything I can do to preserve the delaminating surface or indeed fill in some of the indents? The wall is quite uneven now.

Thanks to you all and for the humour!
I'm going to follow the tips and count my blessings that there is at least some wall left to work with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back