Patching up - am I doing this right ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just after some advice on this one. I couldn't get a plasterer in as this job was too small so I had a go myself.....

After removing wallpaper from around an upstairs window - I found alot of bad cracks and loose plaster so I chipped all of the loose stuff out and was left with some quite deep areas to patch up. The depth went up to around 15mm in places. So I bought some ready mix plaster from Screwfix and some relevant tools. I PVAd the area first, left it to go tacky. I think I am right that this should be done in layers ? and I have done 1 layer so far. Do I simply PVA and repeat layers until level ?.

When level and dry I will sand and seal ready for new wallpaper.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You only need 1 pva “layer”, to control the suction and stop it drying out too quick. But if you’ve left it for day(s), give it another coat of pva, finish the plastering, job done.

All done, some areas needed 4 layers as they were so deep. I PVAd before each layer and then finally sanded and sealed and its now ready for papering. Very pleased with the result. Time consuming but good. In future I will use a deep fill filler first as I wont need to layer it then to avoid sagging etc. Thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back