Patchy interior wall paint after skimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Had the hallway walls skimmed and after it dried, sanded down with 180 and 240 then washed down proper clean. The walls were very smooth to touch
I used Dulux contract trade paint for new plaster to seal the plaster then Dulux contract matt white emulsion as the top coat.
I am horrified to find patches on wall showing through the paint.
The wall appeared very smooth after sanding so was not expecting this.
I sanded down again and the rough patches became even smoother but had tiny holes in them as in the images.
If i sanded more, it would probably remove the skim coat so was confident at this point that the paint would cover these but it hasn't so far.
Its very noticeable with daylight through our glass front door.
I cannot seem to cover or hide blemishes with the paint and have painted it 3 times so far.
I wanted a uniform, blemish free paint job on the walls the patchiness shows up making it look grey and dirty.
Can anyone give me advice on what to do to correct this issue please.

Attachments

• 20220617_191655.jpg
    20220617_191655.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 20220617_191603.jpg
    20220617_191603.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 156
  • 20220617_191512.jpg
    20220617_191512.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 20220617_191419.jpg
    20220617_191419.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 151
Sponsored Links
How large an area?

I used this when patching up similar on old walls.

Holes need to be less than 1mm but good stuff. Careful application and a minor rub down worked wonders.

Its in random areas along both hallway walls but is not a big hallway.
I will order the product and try it but can't help thinking now, the skimming job should have taken care of this.
I only sanded the skimming to make it smooother and provide adhesion to the basecoat.

I've never had to sand after plastering. Maybe plasterer was not good?

Sponsored Links
There were nicks and abrasions in the plaster, especially around switches but these came out easily after sanding.
With the hallway walls painted in matt white and ajacent to a glass front door, the smallest imperfection in the skim or paint can be seen because a lot of natural light falls on them.
I don't have this issue on other walls adjacent to windows in other rooms in the house maybe because of blinds etc.
However, i do belive if i asked for a glass like finish on the skim on the hallways walls, i would not have this problem today.
If i'm not mistaken, i think its called rounding where the final skim coat is rounded so smooth with water that it becomes shiny like glass and actually reflects light and as long as the right paint roller, paint and painting technique is used, one should get a uniform, blemish free finish. Too late now but lesson learned.

Ask mods to move your thread to plastering forum?

The problem in your pics is badly mixed finish powder, & possibly too much suction in the background - the water must be cold & clean, the tools & bucket clean, and the proportions of powder to water just right.
Pre-wet all tools, the spotboard and the hawk. Use a wet brush sparingly.
You dont go splashing water all over, and you dont polish the finish unless there's a particular reason.

Ask mods to move your thread to plastering forum?

The problem in your pics is badly mixed finish powder, & possibly too much suction in the background - the water must be cold & clean, the tools & bucket clean, and the proportions of powder to water just right.
Pre-wet all tools, the spotboard and the hawk. Use a wet brush sparingly.
You dont go splashing water all over, and you dont polish the finish unless there's a particular reason.
All very useful but the OP didn't plaster it -perhaps they could show your post to the one who did ?

do you mean patchy texture or patchy colour?

put something in your photos to show scale

stand back and take a pic of the whole wall.

did you use brush or roller?

how much did you thin your mist coats?

Patchy texture and i used paint roller made for smooth surfaces.
I did not thin the mist coat as the mist coat was ready made for plastered surfaces but this was sanded down lightly to provide a better key for the top coat.
Since then i have painted on another coat and marks appear less now but i will use Toupret to hide the blemishes then paint the whole area again.

Attachments

• 20220618_135050.jpg
    20220618_135050.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 20220618_134959.jpg
    20220618_134959.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 20220618_134942.jpg
    20220618_134942.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 125

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back