Patchy Paint

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My girlfriends parents had their kitchen refitted about a year ago, but hadn't had it decorated due to a lack of funds. The kitchen was about 5 different colours as various cabinets had been moved and the ceiling was fresh plaster (as they had had a leak in the ceiling and had the old one removed so it could be repaired).

I was asked last week by my girlfriends dad if I would decorate the kitchen for him as he didn't have the time so I agreed (I have some previous experience although mainly exterior decorating). The work was to be completed whilst my girlfriends parents were away.

Because the ceiling was bare plaster I applied a coat of Dulux Pure Brilliant White Matt Emulsion that was mixed with water (as advised by a decorator friend), The second coat I applied was also mixed with water but at a lower ratio, and finally I applied a coat of pure paint. When I had finished with this the ceiling looked absolutely amazing, perfectly smooth and bright white.

However, as this was a kitchen my girlfriends father had been told to apply a stain resistant paint as the top coat and had therefore bought Dulux Diamond Quick Drying Eggshell, I put this on the ceiling and left it to dry overnight. When I came to look at it yesterday it looked very patchy in natural light, almost as though you could see every roller stroke, which I thought was due to it needing 2 coats (said 1-2 coats on the pot) so I painted another coat on. I have come to look at it this moring and it still looks very patchy and I have no idea why.

What is going on and how can I fix it?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have more or less odne the right thing all the way here..and you was right to do a second coat over the eggshell..ive got two possible reasons..one its uneven plastering, two..its possibly the texture from the original white paint.

You wouldnt have noticed either before because it was a matt finish..ad matt covers up a multitude of things..as opposed to silk..which highlights them

If its the plaster theres little you can do, because filling it is going to add to the problem..if its in the texture of the paint a good rub down might work

Oh..and dont propose yet..you might be wasting your time!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back