Patio advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just finished laying a Indian sandstone design patio and need some advice on pointing it in.
I'm going to do wet pointing of 3/1 as the gaps range from 5mm to 15mm possibly 20mm in places.
What's the best sand to use in the mix? Sharp or builders ?[/code]

Sponsored Links
I prefer plastering sand/washed sand which is half way between the two.

building sand is messy as it holds too much water and sharp sand a a little coarse and doesn't iron/strike as well.

If you can't get platsering sand you could mix building and sharp 50:50

Thanks, there's so much conflicting advice on the web.
I'm off the the builders merchants tonight with a view of hopefully pointing it Friday depending on the weather.
I've got some sharp sand left over so I'll just buy some builders sand and mix it 3/3/2.

Sponsored Links
I've just finished laying a Indian sandstone design patio and need some advice on pointing it in.
I'm going to do wet pointing of 3/1 as the gaps range from 5mm to 15mm possibly 20mm in places.
What's the best sand to use in the mix? Sharp or builders ?[/code]

Neither.

Use Jointex. ;)

Oh and balance your joints better first.. ;)

Use jointex and you'll be raking it out again in 3 years to repoint. also it turns a slimey black within weeks as its porous and so is constantly saturated.

But he's right about balancing the joints

Had a messure of the joints last night and they range from 13mm-20mm so not as varied as I first thought.
The sides of the slabs aren't square and have a textured surface thus making them rough.
I do have one or two large stones that aren't seated correctly and rocking slightly so I'll be relaying them tonight ready for pointing tomorrow hopefully.

Months? Show me in again in a few years.

That looks really good but its on a patio that has just been very well cleaned/ or religiously maintained. Looks like it was just laid.

It is just rebadged rompox easy and i have had to go back and grind out and repoint 3 sandstone patios jointed with it a few years back when my supplier was pushing it and i know lots of other contractors stung by it.

Its seems great at the time because its so quick and the colour is good but it just doesn't last in my experience.

Months? Show me in again in a few years.

That looks really good but its on a patio that has just been very well cleaned/ or religiously maintained. Looks like it was just laid.

It is just rebadged rompox easy and i have had to go back and grind out and repoint 3 sandstone patios jointed with it a few years back when my supplier was pushing it and i know lots of other contractors stung by it.

Its seems great at the time because its so quick and the colour is good but it just doesn't last in my experience.

It is supposed to turn slimey black in weeks according to your claim.

I have used rompox and jointex for years and not had any issues with them.

I was exagerating for effect but i have seen it turn dark green in 2 months. However that paving in your photo is scrupulously clean so has either just been laid or heavily bleached which i don't think is a fair comparison to the average patio getting cleaned a couple of times a year.

I'm really surprised, but glad for you, to hear you haven't had problems. As i was not saying the above to be contrary, i have lost time and money having to replace it and don't want others to suffer my mistake. I have at least 4 local contractors who had had problems within 5 years and had to replace it.

Perhaps its our wet irish weather??

How long ago was the first time you used it and is it still solid?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back