Patio area -slabs removed more underneath - what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Victorian terraced house & to the front is a small area approx. 14' x 5' which had a mixture of paving slabs & cobbles which have been down for years.
We are in the process of renovating & were going to replace that area with some new paving slabs.
After taking up all the existing slabs & cobbles we found they had been laid over another layer of crazy paving, which are all cemented in. The cobbles & slabs seem to have been laid on top with just a thin layer (25mm or so) of what seems to be a dry sand/cement mix.
Don't really want to take up the crazy paving, as we are having a problem getting rid of what is already dug up. Local tip only allow 2 bags of rubble per trip & only 6 bags for the year.
As the previous slabs have been down for years & the area won't be used for anything other than possibly a few plant pots (no cars, pedestrian traffic etc.) I am just thinking of putting another layer of dry mix down, levelling off & laying on top of that (the slabs no me personally)
Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
I believe you can obtain a licence from your local council for the tip at about £10 for the year if you are a householder doing renovations.

As for the slabs, if it is just somewhere to put plant pots/tubs I would just re-screed with a bed of sand and flag over it. Take care not to bridge your dpc though.

for the tiny bit of extra work just use a wet mix. You will find it easier to lay them anyway with this method and its much more soild if you want to point them.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back