paving slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our current rear tio consists of a large concrete area approximately 6m by 4m. We need to upgrade this and the simple solution is to lay paving slabs over the top.
My concerns lie with the close proximity of the dpm. Currently the concrete layer is only 100mm belw this level and with the addition of another layer of paving slabs it is going to take it to within 50mm of the dpm,is this acceptable?
If not, is there anyway aound it? By leaving say, a gap around the edge down to the old concrete layer or do I have to consider breaking up the entire concrete layer which is a good 3" thick. thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Current regulations on new build is ground level should be 150mm below dpc of a building. You mention dpm, I presume you mean dpc. If I was doing this on my own property, as long the top of finished ground level outside is below dpc I would do it, but, you must make sure of an adequate fall AWAY from your dwelling. On a customers property, I would advise about the regs, and a "proper" job would be to follow these regs.

its a risk but a reasonably slight risk. drill some holes throgh the concrete near the wall, leave a margin between the wall and the paving of 3-4 inches and backfill it with pea shingle or similar, but to below the level of the paving. As said before make sure you have a good fall away from the house.

Sponsored Links
if you're thinking of selling up in the near future, then a high ground level will be picked up by the surveyor immediately, and will have to be rectified by you or agree on a financial forfeit. if you're staying put, and the masonry above the dpc is of a good quality then it may be ok to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back