Patio damp threshold dramas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted previously about big wet patch at patio threshold which has been coming up since rain started. A window was removed to install doors so brickwork was taken down to floor. Ive gone back to the guys who fitted the doors but they claim it did not need DPM. They are suggesting weep holes are added instead so that any water getting in can also easily escape out. Any comments?

Attachments

• 20181009_002351.jpg
    20181009_002351.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 230
Sponsored Links
They have either installed the door itself incorrectly and water is backing Into the house or it required a DPC because they must have taken out the existing DPC when making the opening for the door.

As it's running the full length of the door and pretty evenly I would suggest it's a DPC issue.

Thank you, someone else said the same but the company are denying it needed one. Any advice on how to get them to rectify?

Thank you, someone else said the same but the company are denying it needed one. Any advice on how to get them to rectify?

The problem is because the internal floor screed runs across to the outside skin of brickwork below the door. -at least thats what it looks like from picture.

Do you have cavity walls or solid?.

What should happen is that a polythene sheet, known as damp proof membrane runs underneath the floor and up the wall. The floor infill, concrete oversite or screed is then done and when dry, the plastic sheet is cut just above the screed along the door frame. That way the damp from the external brick cant trafel across to the new floor.

The problem is the floor, not the door fitting

On a upvc door, a dpc (damp proof course) isnt doing anything.

Is there a vertical damp proof course between door frame and plastered reveals......because plaster should not be able to touch external brickwork.

Sponsored Links
Youre right and there is a DPM under the rest of the floor so knocking out that part of the wall to accommodate the door has created a breach as far as I understand. My plan is to dig out and replace dpm there if I can. Again others suggest I can dig out a couple inches clear of where the wall joint was and fill that trough with membrane which I hope will do the job

The problem is because the internal floor screed runs across to the outside skin of brickwork below the door. -at least thats what it looks like from picture.

Do you have cavity walls or solid?.

What should happen is that a polythene sheet, known as damp proof membrane runs underneath the floor and up the wall. The floor infill, concrete oversite or screed is then done and when dry, the plastic sheet is cut just above the screed along the door frame. That way the damp from the external brick cant trafel across to the new floor.

The problem is the floor, not the door fitting

On a upvc door, a dpc (damp proof course) isnt doing anything.

Is there a vertical damp proof course between door frame and plastered reveals......because plaster should not be able to touch external brickwork.

Help! So i cut back plaster away from floors but Floors still damp at threshold as not a single builder I've had round understands what's going on..or they just advise a masking solution.

Since the threshold issue a few more damp patches have presented around the newly plastered kitchen. Mainly on one lower level wall which seems to have foil backed board so should be least damp.

I have now also realised the ground level outside is at same level as the old bitumen dpc layer..i can see it round other side just under lower brick although. I actually think this has been a prob across the whole of that patio wall looking back to pics post rip out. See pic 3

I'm working on lowering ground level this weekend. Should I still also remove that threshold concrete infill and fill with membrane, or wait to see if ground level resolves. If so how best to do it? A couple inches away there is a sunken gas pipe just below the screed.

Is it also worth applying something a wall/floor joints at the affected walls? Kitchens here in just over a week and I'm having a mini breakdown

Attachments

• 20181014_095524.jpg
    20181014_095524.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 1539967621898195690669.jpg
    1539967621898195690669.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 140
  • 20180827_185602.jpg
    20180827_185602.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 148

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back